Thread: Large format camera parts and pieces for building from scratch

Large format camera parts and pieces for building from scratch

Hi all!

I'm about to design and build an 8x10 camera. I have most of the design ready but I have one problem. The moving and screwing parts. Bolts, nuts, knobs, focusing knob / thread, etc. Those you see in all view and field cameras...

I know most of the camera makers manufacture their own pieces, but I think there must be somewhere I can find similar or the same components for sale as units or bulk.

Does anybody know anything about this? Any help/advice?

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Koichiro Ogino
    Architect / Photographer

Eric Woodbury

Re: Large format camera parts and pieces for building from scratch

Nuts, bolts, screws: try McMaster Carr.

Knobs, I usually made my own when I used to do this. Sometimes start with a T-nut or wing nut and add something to grip.

Leaf springs were always my downfall. Sometimes I bought old cameras and took what I needed. There are ways of making your own, and maybe somebody here knows.

The focus screw: I know some have bought them from Chamonix. Or Amazon has them. They are in 3-D printers, so available as a replacement part. Pitch can be a bugger. McMaster may have them too. Called a "lead screw".

Have fun.

e

I'm making a 5x7 at the moment. I've bought lead screw, nut and bearing (from 3D printer) and knobs from China via eBay. Metal parts like front/rear panel clips standard arms and stays, I make myself. Making the metal parts is time-consuming, but possible with average diy skills and lots of patience.

Im in the process of doing the same thing myself- McMaster for the screw-related items, carbon fiber instead of aluminum (way easier to cut and fine tune) where I can get away with it and knowing someone with a mill to do the aluminum parts are the routes I have taken so far. Plenty online about grinding glass so I did that myself. Chamonix sells bellows which was also a part I did not want to do. Im a competent woodworker, so the teak frames and the easier aluminum parts were done by me. We have a local shop that will do the anodizing of the aluminum when I get to that point. Hope this helps

For complicated metal parts I work in trade with a machine shop here in the Bay Area, I get the basics from McMaster.

the leaf springs can be gotten as picture frame springs. they also come in larger sizes used for window screens.

check this out?
    https://www.amazon.com/frame-spring-...e+spring+clips

.window spring search....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=window...16&FORM=CHROMN

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kogino View Post
    Hi all!

I'm about to design and build an 8x10 camera. I have most of the design ready but I have one problem. The moving and screwing parts. Bolts, nuts, knobs, focusing knob / thread, etc. Those you see in all view and field cameras...

I know most of the camera makers manufacture their own pieces, but I think there must be somewhere I can find similar or the same components for sale as units or bulk.

Does anybody know anything about this? Any help/advice?

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Depending on what you need I have an almost complete set of brass parts from a Korona or a Kodak 2D? It is all packaged up and if you are interested I can open it and photograph it. It was missing something but I can't remember what it was. It won't cost you much if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Depending on what you need I have an almost complete set of brass parts from a Korona or a Kodak 2D? It is all packaged up and if you are interested I can open it and photograph it. It was missing something but I can't remember what it was. It won't cost you much if you need it.
    Hi Jim!

Thanks a lot for your feedback... can you send me the images?

By the way, I love your carbon printing work, your book looks awsome!!! I want to learn the carbon printing process, any advice??

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Koichiro Ogino
    Architect / Photographer