Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Rollei IR WIth IR Unsafe Bellows

Re: Shooting Rollei IR WIth IR Unsafe Bellows

As an update, I managed to get 3 out of 4 sheets from last weekend! Here's one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r3-001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	200497

I bracketed the shots at ISO 6 and 12, though I should have gone 3 and 6 or even lower perhaps. The negatives lack some shadow detail but the highlights seem about right. I developed them in XTOL Replenished for 10 minutes at 20C in a DIY rotary at 30 RPM. I use a JOBO 2500 tank with the 4x5 reel. I was worried that the sheets might move around but it seemed ok.

To prevent fogging during exposure, I used a foil mylar sheet that's for plant beds and wrapped that around the bellows and used my dark cloth for the back. I think I should have also considered wrapping the mylar it around the back as well as the one exposure that didn't turn out was fogged but on the bottom side of the holder and I can't quite work out how. I think it was when my dark cloth flew off (it was windy when I was trying to make that exposure).

These are not the best representation of IR since they don't have as pronounced an IR effect. I used an R72 but the time I took these may not have been ideal and I might want to also couple it with a circular polarizer perhaps?

Anyways, in short, I finally managed for the first time to get IR results with the film in large format, so I'm pretty happy with that!

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    As an update, I managed to get 3 out of 4 sheets from last weekend! Here's one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r3-001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	200497

These are not the best representation of IR since they don't have as pronounced an IR effect. I used an R72 but the time I took these may not have been ideal and I might want to also couple it with a circular polarizer perhaps?

Anyways, in short, I finally managed for the first time to get IR results with the film in large format, so I'm pretty happy with that!
    I like the amount of i.r. effect you have achieved. Excessive i.r. effect is a little like an exaggerated attempt to be different and I've migrated away. If you want more than you're getting with the R72 though, try the Cokin 007 or the Kodak 89B. The Cokin will work at ISO 6 and the 89B may need an ISO 3 setting. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I like the amount of i.r. effect you have achieved. Excessive i.r. effect is a little like an exaggerated attempt to be different and I've migrated away. If you want more than you're getting with the R72 though, try the Cokin 007 or the Kodak 89B. The Cokin will work at ISO 6 and the 89B may need an ISO 3 setting. Good luck.
    Thanks John! Yeah it's subtle but it's there (the treetops most notably). I was able to wring out more in 120 (using the same R72) but different season. I was indeed also thinking about trying the 89B so yep I'll give that a go. I don't always want ZOMG IR! type shots but I'll admit I wanted a bit more from the above.