Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked?

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

UMmm . . .My strategy for my 4x5 outfit: Pack in bag sufficiently protective for shooting outdoors, then put that kit, as-packed, intro a hard shell case (mine is a Pellican 1510) , with additional padding, lock it and check it.

I would think that a similar strategy would work with adjustments in the size of the hard shell case and suplimental padding. Pellican and other companies make hard shell cases big enough to protect large bits network level video equipment costing more than my car. I would think that its just a matter of getting one big enough.

I ran across an online outfit that will custom cut high density foam specific to your equipment, fitting a case of your choice . . .and they have te cases too. Here is just one, there are others.

Check out: www.mycasebuilder.com

This is not cheap, but nothing in ULF is cheap.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

I once worked somewhere that sold raw foam for cases, and their secret for nice cuts was an old electric knife used for slicing turkeys etc... Worked great!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I once worked somewhere that sold raw foam for cases, and their secret for nice cuts was an old electric knife used for slicing turkeys etc... Worked great!!!

Steve K
    It does work beautifully! Much better than that awful perforated “pick and pluck” foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Has anyone converted their hardcase into a backpack? I know that strap conversion systems exist, of course it’s heavy but for us younger folks who can still somewhat consider baring the load... it is an interesting idea.

My 810 is slightly wider than most at around 14” with knobs. Finding a bag has been a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havern't measurerd it, but my 8x10 Kodak 2D fits into a 1985 vintage LowePro Trekker backpack. Not much else does though. I had a Pelican brand soft case that could take the 11x14, and the2D swam in it. Photo-dedicated bags are out there.

Another approach might be to look for standard luggage pieces that are big enough and pad/fit the interior to protect the camera.

The OP isn't looking for a walk-around backpack. He is looking for a safe way to check his gear on a plane.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!