Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked?

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

The Pelicans are robust--so I've always tried to find used ones. If you go used, make sure the foam is either intact or that there is enough left for your use. New foam inserts are available, but pricey.

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

Pelican# 1510 is the largest FAA approved carry on case with wheels available. larger than this, it will be forced into checked baggage.
    The Pelican# 1510 is 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60" bases on these internal dimension numbers... what can fit?

IMO, 8x10 might be doable, 11x14 likely not as a carry on.

Add film holders, film, camera accessories, tripod and...

Bernice

attention. if you open the case in a humid environment, it will store the humid air inside.

if a cold, dry camera comes out of the case into a warm, humid environment, not only the camera will fog up, but also the inside of the case.

it is difficult to get a waterproof suitcase dry. and it is difficult to get damp mould out of the foam inside the suitcase. once wind, weather, salt water (coast), sand or dust are inside the case, you can hardly get them out again.

in the south of france there are dry, cold winds. when i drive from a humid-warm switzerland to perpignan, i have electrostatic phenomena on the cameras, flashes on the film, bleeding in the lcd.

in the local botanical garden it's the other way round. everything smells of mould, and the equipment in the orchid house is fogging up. especially in winter.

if you live in florida and buy your equipment from south japanese dealers, you do not need pelicanes.

imho the only way to use a camera when traveling without worrying about it breaking is to use cheap cameras that are allowed to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    attention. if you open the case in a humid environment, it will store the humid air inside.

if a cold, dry camera comes out of the case into a warm, humid environment, not only the camera will fog up, but also the inside of the case.

it is difficult to get a waterproof suitcase dry. and it is difficult to get damp mould out of the foam inside the suitcase. once wind, weather, salt water (coast), sand or dust are inside the case, you can hardly get them out again.

in the south of france there are dry, cold winds. when i drive from a humid-warm switzerland to perpignan, i have electrostatic phenomena on the cameras, flashes on the film, bleeding in the lcd.

in the local botanical garden it's the other way round. everything smells of mould, and the equipment in the orchid house is fogging up. especially in winter.

if you live in florida and buy your equipment from south japanese dealers, you do not need pelicanes.

imho the only way to use a camera when traveling without worrying about it breaking is to use cheap cameras that are allowed to break.
    Not if you store desiccant packets inside the case.

Mold has never been a problem with Rimowa cases.

Also, don't leave gear stored for very long periods in sealed foam lined cases as over time, the foam starts to outgass and degrade, and gasses and sticky melting can damage gear...

Store gear in "breathable" protection for very long hibernation...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Also, don't leave gear stored for very long periods in sealed foam lined cases as over time, the foam starts to outgass and degrade, and gasses and sticky melting can damage gear...

Store gear in "breathable" protection for very long hibernation...

Steve K
    Not with urethane foam and closed cell insulating foam.

Casebuilder.com let’s you configure basically anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Often not appreciated, wood is an excellent material for transport cases. Wood can be tough beyond belief, resilient and can moderate moisture to prevent mold (if the proper kind of wood is used), light weight for the mechanical properties it can offer.

There was a time when plastic food cutting boards were VERY popular.. until it was discovered the microscopic grooves caused by the knife blade turned into a nice warm home for lethal bacterial and other microbes. Wood food cutting boards that have been used as a food cutting board material for thousands of years have the ability to moderate harmful bacterial and microbes while enduring countless knife cuts.

This is why mechanical measuring instruments (high quality micrometers and such) and similar were shipped and stored in wood cases.

Desiccant is very common in military packaging to food packaging to moderate humidity. Some desiccants can be put in an oven at modest heat to dry them out for re-usage. There are paper humidity indicators with color dots that change color based in ambient humidity.

Totally sealed is not always a good way to store stuff. Example, lens in a high humidity (tropical) environment put into a air sealed plastic bag has a higher risk of developing fungus than being stored in a non air sealed bag. The other serious problem is going from biting cold to a warm environment. This can cause condensation causing host of problems.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not if you store desiccant packets inside the case.

Mold has never been a problem with Rimowa cases.

I use a pelican case....a big, bright yellow one - too big to carry on though. It has room for the 8x10 camera and two lenses mount on lens boards. Never have I had any issues or concerns.

Here's an old custom case I bought from a retiring pro with that camera in it. The lens section also has a plywood lid, OLD Plywood

Notice how the inner wood case is surrounded by hard foam. The outside had stickers and airline stuff all over it. Most removed by me.

I have a similar much larger case with metal sides that held an 8X10 P. It's really heavy. That was the husband's shipping box, I bought their studio as they broke up in old age, dividing the cash as soon as I handed it over. I almost asked the lady for her phone #...

The studio was fantastic, 2 story open arena with second floor camera runs and one of those big wood crescent moons. Photo district Chicago. I couldn't get the giant sinks out in time...Goodwill was hauling the furniture at the same moment. Big rush to beat the new owner...

IMG-2647 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-2650 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can