Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to use half-frame dark slide?

Re: How to use half-frame dark slide?

For 4x5 pano it may be more financially prudent to shoot the full sheet and mask/crop when printing/post processing. You can change aspect ratios from 5x4 to 5x2 (eq 5x12 or 7x17 enlarged) or 5x2.5 or 5x3.5 (1/2 5x7) . You can buy dark red polyester sheets at your art supply store and cut a permanent window mask for your enlarger's film carrier. Then there is also cropping by using the blades of your easel or crop tool in software. If you need a visualization aide for the field, print/draw lines on clear sheet sized to fit on top of your ground glass while you compose.

Your pano tastes/vision may one day change or a need arrises for more of the image to suit another use. For advertising they sometimes bleed the excess portion of the image through a slightly transparent banner.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
    This is not perfectly on topic and may be blasphemy, but why not just crop the image in the darkroom to get a pano print? If you are not shooting ULF, you won’t be making contact prints at 2” x 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm of the same opinion. I've successfully performed surgery on several darkslides -- without problems -- but largely for the purposes of simplifying exposure tests or repairs.

Without considering the various issues and limitations/problems, pros & cons listed below, I would not do it only because I want the entire scene so that I can crop to my heart's content in the darkroom.

Sometimes the rebate is treated as part of the image (4x10 and 5.5x14 examples)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LittleUbehebeCrater_DV_Carbon.jpg   GrottoHouseZion.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: The paper templet idea . . .

Why not just expose one half of a piece of B&W film and process it?

It will; be clear-0ish on one half and black on the other.

Plce that over the GG to frame the imposition.

Or use the cut off piece as a mask on the GG.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I never use the half 8x10 darkslide I made because i wasted too much film not knowing how much, if any of the film had been exposed when the full darkslide was in place. Now I expose the full sheet and crop top and bottom when printing.

Solved that by always exposing the same image on both halves -- can try a slightly different exposure, or just get an extra neg -- nice when working with alt processes that can damage negatives. Or leaving half unexposed if needed. To take the second (horizonal) image I do not remove the film holder from the camera -- just rotate the camera back 180 degrees leaving the holder in it.

That way, a full darkslide showing black is exposed --as per usual.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

A century ago, they used to insert a piece of cardboard in the camera itself, between the rear folds of the bellows to crop the image - and used the regular holders with the regular darkslides. The drawback is that the mask is farther from the film plane so there should be potentially more bleeding and overlap in the two images, especially with wide-angle lenses.

But using half-darkslides have its drawbacks also as there is a risk of light leaks while the half-darkslide is in the midway going in and out of the holder.