Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adam's books...what version??

Ansel Adam's books...what version??

Hi.

I'm confused by the Ansel Adam's books. I'd like to get The Camera and The Negative, but some books have different pictures on the cover. Some say Series and others say Series 1.

Is there a difference, like a republication edit or is it just a cover refresh and the content is identical?

Anyone know?

Thx!!!

Re: Ansel Adam's books...what version??

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yes, the “new” series with grey cover. Get “The Print” also.

Happy reading.

What Brian said. The new series has updated text.

+1... Scheiner readings aren't very useful any more.

Ok. I found a set on estore that has, The Camera, The Negative and The Print. All three appear to have grey or greenish-grey covers.

The picture on The Camera is from Yosemite, The Negative is a picture of what looks like wavy lines in the sand and the Print has a picture of a fern plant.

Are we talking about the right series edition?

Thank you very much!!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Buy!

Even the early editions of various AA books are interesting. They are more like AA himself speaking than are the later editions.

There was an "old" or original Ansel Adams photography series published in the 1940s or 50s. It was 5 books instead of 3, and the physical size of the books was smaller. It's a historical piece at this point - it could be interesting, but it isn't an easily digestible introduction, and naturally some of the technical information is long out of date.

About 1980 he published a greatly revised version, the 3 volume series (The Camera, Negative, Print) that is sometimes called the "New" Ansel Adams photography series. This was completely rewritten, easier to read, and had more high-quality reproductions. The "New" series started off with the gray slipcovers. Since then, it's been reprinted a couple of times, I think the cover photos are different between the hardcover and softcover, and from reading descriptions, there is a difference in the reproduction (gravure vs halftone). I don't know if there were any revisions to the text. I'd guess any version of the 3-volume series would be about equally useful.

Just to give an idea, this is what the "old" series looked like: https://www.amazon.com/Ansel-Adams-B.../dp/B0047LW4UM It would be pretty hard to actually find these now - any search that I do turns up many copies of the "new" series before the old ones.

I have 3 different series beginning with the original one, all of which I bought new. I stopped buying editions after Ansel died and I found statements in the paperbacks which differed from his original ones. In the 1978 edition, "Polaroid Land Photography"is overlooked by many since the product is no longer available. It shouldn't be as there is a lot of excellent info relative to all film photography,particularly the simplest,most concise explanation of The Zone System." Excellent charts and table explaining the 10 Zones 0-IX, instead of the 11 zones (0-X) discussed later by others,