Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A D-76 observation---any guesses?

Re: A D-76 observation---any guesses?

Its been a long time since I've used D-76...and I'm thinking I might try it again soon.

Back in the day, the only time I'd gotten black flecks is when, for a brief period of time, I'd been replenishing my working solution. But I'd never gotten these flecks in the "fresh" stock solution.

This would worry me...I'd think that those black flecks might be something crucial to the efficacy of the formula that was precipitating out. But if your results are good, and if filtering works for you...then Bob's your uncle!

Edit: It has always been my understanding that Kodak (and others, I assume) have (had?) added sequestering agents to their chemistry to help ensure consistency of use despite a variety of water conditions. Perhaps they no longer add these agents? Just a thought!

Edit: It has always been my understanding that Kodak (and others, I assume) have (had?) added sequestering agents to their chemistry to help ensure consistency of use despite a variety of water conditions. Perhaps they no longer add these agents? Just a thought!
    I'm pretty sure they still do, since I use straight, very hard tap water to mix Kodak powder developers all the time. I literally have no reason not to, since it doesn't leave lime deposits as long as I wash all my negs with the stabilizer detergent from a c-41 kit.

No, that is added so all the ingredents can be mixed together at once, instead of metol first, SS, Hyq, etc individually...

Steve K

Before Eastman Kodak's bankruptcy, Champion made its photo chemicals. Afterward, Alaris sourced photo chemicals from Tetenal. When Tetenal also went bankrupt last year, Alaris began sourcing photo chemicals from a different U.S. supplier. I just performed a cursory search, but can't find the Web page where someone identified which U.S. chemical supplier is the likely latest source. In any case, several reports of undissolvable particles in various Kodak photo chemical products have surfaced since this most recent supplier change.

Between this news and the recent Pyrocat "issue," I'm seriously thinking that I may start mixing absolutely everything from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Between this news and the recent Pyrocat "issue," I'm seriously thinking that I may start mixing absolutely everything from scratch.
    You should!!! And it's fun!!! Release you inner mad scientist (or Walter White)...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    You should!!! And it's fun!!! Release you inner mad scientist (or Walter White)...

Steve K
    +1

- I have been mixing my own D-76H (unblinkingeye.com recipe), Pyrocat HD, and D-72 (Dektol) from scratch. Get a digital scale, some basket coffee filters, and look up Art Craft Chemicals. It is a lot cheaper and is only slightly more involved than mixing packaged developers. Set yourself free!

Ilford ID11 is a good choice to replace D76. Ilford supports B&W more than Kodak, a good reason to use more of their products.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I used Kodak D-76 regularly back in the 80's and it always had some small black specks floating around after mixing. I always filtered it out before use. I have no idea what it was - perhaps decoration?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg