Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intrepid cameras

Re: Intrepid cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I think I have G.A.S. and should probably just be content with my lovely rosewood Wista DX.
    I have got an Intrepid 4x5 Mk2. We can exchange our cameras, I will send you mine and I get yours.

I will probably get an Intrepid 8x10 at some point to start. I'd like a Chamonix 8x10 but that's just too far out of my price range for now.

I started on an Intrepid 4x5 MK2, which I still have. Great camera and the MK4 seems to have improved many of the shortcomings of the MK2. I now use a Chamonix 45F2 now and find the bump in quality noticeable. The 45F2 is now my main 4x5 but I keep my Intrepid around either for the kiddo or if I am going to go on a backpacking trip (where the weight savings will definitely add up).

Apart from the rear movements (of which the MK4 now has I think?) I could likely make the same images with either camera, but the 45F2 is just all around smoother and easier. It goes up from there too - the 45F2 I would still consider a lighter weight simpler field camera. There aren't any geared movements (except for focus) for instance.

It may not be as useful now but when I was shopping around for another 4x5 before I settled on the F2, I made a spreadsheet to try and compare the features of various field cameras:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...XxU/edit#gid=0

Perhaps it may be of us to you. Either way, good luck with your search! I feel you on the GAS. I'd like a SpeedGraphic at some point but don't really have a need for one (save for the focal plane shutter which is nice).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    I have got an Intrepid 4x5 Mk2. We can exchange our cameras, I will send you mine and I get yours.
    Daniel -- I think I have to pass on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    I will probably get an Intrepid 8x10 at some point to start. I'd like a Chamonix 8x10 but that's just too far out of my price range for now.

I started on an Intrepid 4x5 MK2, which I still have. Great camera and the MK4 seems to have improved many of the shortcomings of the MK2. I now use a Chamonix 45F2 now and find the bump in quality noticeable. The 45F2 is now my main 4x5 but I keep my Intrepid around either for the kiddo or if I am going to go on a backpacking trip (where the weight savings will definitely add up).

Apart from the rear movements (of which the MK4 now has I think?) I could likely make the same images with either camera, but the 45F2 is just all around smoother and easier. It goes up from there too - the 45F2 I would still consider a lighter weight simpler field camera. There aren't any geared movements (except for focus) for instance.

It may not be as useful now but when I was shopping around for another 4x5 before I settled on the F2, I made a spreadsheet to try and compare the features of various field cameras:

Perhaps it may be of us to you. Either way, good luck with your search! I feel you on the GAS. I'd like a SpeedGraphic at some point but don't really have a need for one (save for the focal plane shutter which is nice).
    Thank you -- I appreciate that spreadsheet! I am prone to GAS, and if I had unlimited means, I'd get the Chamonix non-folder 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post

How did you leave out all of the specs on all the wood and metal Wistas? And why include the Master Technika Classic and not the 2000, 3000 or the TechniKardan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How did you leave out all of the specs on all the wood and metal Wistas? And why include the Master Technika Classic and not the 2000, 3000 or the TechniKardan?
    The spreadsheet is dated at this point since I haven't updated it since making my purchase but it's a valid question! That link should be the public link so you're welcome to update it (or copy it as well). I tried to get as much information as I could but was having trouble finding the full specifications of all the cameras. Some of the specs seem to be in the more hidden corners of the Internet than Google was able to find. Also for many of these the price was beyond reach so I didn't spend too much time on cameras I knew I could not afford at the time.

That said, it wasn't in an effort to devalue those brands or anything. Wistas in particular are quite gorgeous!

Which is actually one point about the spreadsheet I should have made. It doesn't include all the attributes, including quality of build, sturdiness, craftsmanship, how the cameras handle in practice, among other things. It's sort of to help as a place to start. Even with the spreadsheet the decision was pretty tough! I spent a few months pondering the purchase in fact.