Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid cameras

Intrepid cameras

Been reading last year's thread about communications problems with Intrepid, but was wondering how folks are getting on with their cameras? Stumbled on their website and am impressed with what I see.
    Have the earlier problems mentioned been taken care of, i.e., knobs falling off, warped lens boards, etc.? I especially like the idea of using the camera as an enlarger. I think I have G.A.S. and should probably just be content with my lovely rosewood Wista DX.

Re: Intredpid cameras

Had a Rosewood DXII and loved using it. Light, folds with 150 lens attached. Have a v1.0 Intrepid 8x10, as well because the price and lightweight. Not using it very much. Using Canham 5x7 and Zone VI 8x10 as my go to LF cameras.

tbh, I'd stick with the Wista and find a proper enlarger that will work with 4x5 and smaller formats.
    Last edited by Fred L; 1-Feb-2020 at 17:22.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thanks, I do like the Wista, although, unfortunately, I'm unable to fold mine up with a lens attached.

I would definitely stick with the Wista and find a 4x5 enlarger for analog printing or scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Thanks, I do like the Wista, although, unfortunately, I'm unable to fold mine up with a lens attached.
    Which lens?

Bob -- it's a small Caltar 210mm f6.8. I've tried to close the camera with it attached, but the front of the lens hits the bed of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Bob -- it's a small Caltar 210mm f6.8. I've tried to close the camera with it attached, but the front of the lens hits the bed of the camera.
    It takes extremely little time to mount and remove the lens from the camera. Seems to be a silly reason to buy a far less capable camera.

I know -- I'm not complaining. I was just responding to the poster who was able to fold his 150mm lens into his Wista. I'm sticking with my Wista. I was just intrigued by the Intrepid camera and the company's website and had a momentary GAS attack. I've regained my senses...for now.

David Schaller

Re: Intrepid cameras

What Bob said. Maybe try a smaller lens, like a 150 or 135?

Re: Intrepid cameras

I purchased a Mark II 8x10 Intrepid late last year. Took five + months to get but since I have other 8x10 cameras to use it was not that big a deal. It fits a role as a pack camera with a series of lighter lenses (450C Fuji, 350mm Schneider, 240mm Docter and a 300mm Nikon M and even a Wollensak 159mm Extreme Wide Angle) with my FLM lightweight tripod. I installed a thicker metal base plate as well as a second 3/8" tripod screw mount to the base of the camera and to my Arca Swiss 3/8" base plate that takes camera twist out of the equation which I found to be a big deal with such a lightweight camera.

I like the duel controls for the rise/fall and forward tilt as well as the metal GG springs. I waited specifically until these features became standard and I am glad that I did. So far I do not have a problem with the camera in the field doing what I need it to do as a back up 8x10 field camera. And you surely can't beat the price. Out of the back of my truck or a short distance from it I invariably go with my Toyo 810M or my Canham wooden 8x10 because I am very familiar with using them.