Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Carl Zeiss Lens - Anyone know what this is?

Mystery Carl Zeiss Lens - Anyone know what this is?

Hello friends, I am an amateur photographer and I came accross this lens at at auction.

It has the words 'CARL ZEISS JENA' rather crudely engraved along with serial number 227780. It has no other information. I do not know what focal length it is. Aperture goes from f/4.5 to f/32. The shutter built goes from 1s to 1/150s. It has another serial number 371939 along with the letters D.R.G.M. It also has a logo that reads 'DF' or 'FD' (one letter is on top of the other). The shutter button looks like a metal pin with a polished metal ball head.

Please could anyone shed anymore light on this lens?

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens_1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	200200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens_2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	200201

Re: Mystery Carl Zeiss Lens - Anyone know what this is?

This looks as being one and the same lens in last week's Flint's Auction - hope you didn't pay over the odds but if you didn't it could be an interesting lens for 4 x 5 or 5 x 7.............................................

good luck and regards

Andrew

The lens' s/n is, according to P-H Pont's chronology, from 1913. 371939 is probably the shutter's s/n, looks like a Compound and FD (for Friedrich Deckel) is consistent with this. Per Pont, the shutter's s/n is from 1914 - 1920. The lens could have been remounted from barrel to shutter.

f/4.5 suggests strongly that the lens is a Tessar IC. Without knowing the focal length one can only guess about coverage. Assume 50 degrees for an early Tessar Ic, later ones have more.

Serial number 227780 falls in one of the gaps in Hartmut Thiele's Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik I Carl Zeiss Jena. Is serial number 371939 the number on the circumference of the shutter? I can't quite make it out. The "F" and"D" make up the logo of "Friedrich Deckel", the company that made the Compound and Compur shutters. They also built high-end milling machines and other machine tools. They continue to build CNC milling machines today as part of DMG Mori. At some point after WWII the shutter manufacturing was spun off.

And as I expected, as I laboriously typed, Dan provided additional useful information. For more history than you probably want on Friedrich Deckel, especially as a machine tool builder, see: http://www.lathes.co.uk/deckel/index.html

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 31-Jan-2020 at 15:26. Reason: More information

Wow, thank you so much for this information, Dan and David. You guys are incredibly knowledgeable.

@Dan: I guess I'll have to find out the focal length of the lens and determine whether it's a Tessar.

@David: The serial number 371939 is written on the shutter selection dial below the FD logo.

@Andrew: Haha, it is the same lens indeed. I was the only one to bid on it so got it for £30.

I'm really amazed by the quality as this is probably the oldest piece of photographic equipment I own and it still works brilliantly.

Thank you all once again for your help!

Hmm. Tessars have two singlets in front of the diaphragm and a cemented doublet behind. Air-glass interfaces make strong reflections, glass-cement-glass interfaces make weak ones.

With this in mind, shine one (1, > 1 will give a confusing mess) at the front of the lens with the shutter closed. If it is a Tessar, you will see 4 strong reflections. Then shine the light at the rear of the lens. If it is a Tessar, you'll see 2 strong reflections and 1 weak reflection. The weak reflection can be hard to see.

Is the auction over? Did you win it? I'm curious if it covers large format and the focal length. Have you had a chance to use it yet?

@Dan: I can see at least four very clear reflections in the front and a number of less clear ones. At the back, I can see two very clear reflections and maybe 2-3 minor ones. So I guess this is a Tessar Thank you for this extremely helpful test!

Do you also know a way for me to measure the focal length? I've heard that you can focus on something at infinity and then measure the distance between the back element and the image formed?

@ic-racer: Yes I did win it, only because no one else wanted it. I still haven't used it yet as I wanted to figure out what I'm dealing with first.

Quote Originally Posted by photos.on.film View Post
    Do you also know a way for me to measure the focal length? I've heard that you can focus on something at infinity and then measure the distance between the back element and the image formed?
    Its better to measure from the diaphragm. Practically speaking, from the rear of the shutter will do.

Focal length is the Fstop times the measured diameter of the aperture (from the front) at that Fstop. I think so anyway. Assuming the shutter is labelled correctly.