Thread: Gossen vs Sekonic (quality issues?)

Gossen vs Sekonic (quality issues?)

Hi all,
    I am looking at getting a lightly used to brand new spot meter, and have been seeing mixed things about post 2000 Gossen stuff. The problem for me, I like the simpler Gossen function set and certainly don’t want a touch screen! I also like that the Gossen’s are calibrated at 5600 as posed to tungsten for the Sekonics.

I’ve seen some post on here comparing particular models, but I’m after general experiences with reliability, and long term satisfaction.

Whatever experiences y’all have had would be great to hear!

Re: Gossen vs Sekonic (quality issues?)

battery life is a big issue if you do not use it often. My Sekonic L5XX seems to have very long battery life but I carry two batteries with me just in case. I have held several and went with the Sekonic based on ergonomics alone. I like the protruding eye piece vs the flatness of the starlight. I am not crazy about the touch screen interface for the newer L858. I like the memory and average functions, dual ISO, and work mainly in EV mode which fits the zone system well.

Buy Used L758 if considering the Sekonic.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Any objection to a used Pentax digital spot meter? They are simple, easy to use with the Zone System and reliable. They aren't made anymore, but there is a good used market for them. Unless you need a flash meter or other fancy bells and whistles, that's the meter I would recommend.

Doremus

Any objection to a used Pentax digital spot meter? They are simple, easy to use with the Zone System and reliable. They aren't made anymore, but there is a good used market for them. Unless you need a flash meter or other fancy bells and whistles, that's the meter I would recommend.

Doremus

I agree with, Doremus, mainly because I'm using a Pentax V and it's a solid performer.

Long ago, I used Minolta Meters, including the 1 degree Spotmeter M, and as much as I liked having the lcd screen and the auto conversion tools, I have to say the Pentax is a reliable tank of a spot meter, and I do no need or want other settings upsetting the focus on the subject being metered and the requirements of film, filters, etc which all contribute to the making of the image at hand.

I will admit, I do miss a fully illuminated window, in low light levels, however, I am simply adjusting my expectations as to just how much of the partly lighted meter 'dial' through the viewfinder, I really need to be able to see.

Try the Pentax Meters, and see how well they work themselves, and use the difference to buy film and papers. If you do no like them after 6 months, resale it and get your money back.

I think you'll be happy with the older tools.

IMO.

I agree with, Doremus, mainly because I'm using a Pentax V and it's a solid performer.

Long ago, I used Minolta Meters, including the 1 degree Spotmeter M, and as much as I liked having the LCD screen and the auto conversion tools, I have to say the analog Pentax is a reliable tank of a spot meter, and I do no need or want other settings upsetting the focus on the subject being metered and the requirements of film, filters, etc which all contribute to the making of the image at hand.

I will admit, I do miss a fully illuminated window, in low light levels, however, I am simply adjusting my expectations as to just how much of the partly lighted meter 'dial' through the viewfinder, I really need to be able to see.

Try the Pentax Meters, and see how well they work themselves, and use the difference to buy film and papers. If you do no like them after 6 months, resale it and get your money back.

I think you'll be happy with the older tool.

IMO.