Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for sinar norma owners

Question for sinar norma owners

I recently bought a sinar Norma (actually two, long story) and I ran into an adjustment or maintenance question that I can’t figure out:

My camera has locking fine focus via a small collar that surrounds the stem for the fine focus knob. The trouble is that locking the fine focus moves the focus. I can’t seem to prevent this.

Does anybody know the correct way to adjust this type of fine focus and lock? I am wary of just trying things because of the ease of stripping threads in aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Between here and there

Re: Question for sinar norma owners

I think a few photographs might help anyone more mechanically adept than me to figure the issue out. It sounds to me like old grime getting in the way, since locking down moves something else out of place.
    Last edited by Jimi; 18-Feb-2020 at 01:51.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Last edited by Tin Can; 29-Jan-2020 at 06:08. Reason: own
    Tin Can

I am not a Norma owner...but am very familiar with the inherent cross-interference problems with coaxial focus locks. Sounds to me like there may either be an abundance of age-thickened grease which is causing co-rotation, and/or one or both controls being slightly off-axis...perhaps from a past impact. The "thickened grease" theory can sometimes be tested by gently heating up the mechanism to thin out the grease (I actually rescued an otherwise valuable lens this way), although it may be best to just clean and re-lube...and rotation can be carefully observed while in action to note anything that looks to be off-axis.

Good luck...and hopefully a few more actual Norma owners will chime in!

On one of the Norma's that I had purchased over the years, had the same "problem". Was "age-thickened grease" as John Layton put it. Have overhauled several Normas over the years before finding the following guide:

http://doczz.net/doc/2811502/the-rou...nd-adjusting-t...

As the Guide first states: Important thing to gently tighten the screws, it is easy to over torque them of you use a screwdriver with a large handle... trust me on that! Also I have always worked on the camera in a 20x24 tray in the darkroom sink. Couple of times almost lost small parts, but working in the tray saved me.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have a copy already but I can’t find where it addresses how the sleeve that holds the focus lock fits into the base of the standard. I wonder if I’m missing part or if I’m just overlooking it.

-Chris

It is dense data, have you looked at both the text and video?

I haven't memorized the whole thing and likely won't

I am well past that feat.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I have a copy already but I can’t find where it addresses how the sleeve that holds the focus lock fits into the base of the standard. I wonder if I’m missing part or if I’m just overlooking it.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    I think a few photographs might help anyone more mechanically adept than me to figure out the issue. It sounds to me like old grime getting in the way, since locking down moves something else out of place.
    I think you’re right. I think old grime inside the locking collar is part of the problem. The connection of that locking collar to the standard base is the other issue.

Perhaps this will help illustrate:

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It is dense data, have you looked at both the text and video?

I haven't memorized the whole thing and likely won't

I am well past that feat.
    Admittedly have not watched the video. I will do once I get home and can view on a screen larger than a phone.

-Chris

Reminder to get the how to DIY clean, lube, adjust your Sinar Norma done. This parts break down might help for now.

~"DO NOT turn the focus mechanism flats with a wrench, you'll destroy the high precision fit between the chrome plated brass shaft of the focusing mechanism against the aluminum housing as the entire assembly is held in place by two hidden set screws."~

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=norma

There is absolutely ZERO wrong with a concentric or coaxial focus mechanism as designed-used in a Sinar Norma, what happens is over many decades hard use and neglect the lubricant dries out turns into clay and mixed with dirt causes the high precision swiss parts to bind causing a host of other problems. Taking the thing apart, clean, lube, properly adjust will bring back just how precise and excellent this mechanism functions. As a Raven barking, the precision, quality of build and design make the majority of view cameras look like plastic, plant cellulose or stamped metal toys. It is that good.

There is a picture of the Sinar Norma focusing mechanism taken apart, that might help for now.

The outer ring with the handle is held on by two set screws to allow adjusting the position of the small handle to best suite the user's preference of where the focus lock needs to be.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I think you’re right. I think old grime inside the locking collar is part of the problem. The connection of that locking collar to the standard base is the other issue.

Perhaps this will help illustrate: