Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Symmar front cell.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	200123

Here is the situation I have.

Re: Opening top of Symmar-S 210

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Second situation. I have a 58/5.6 Grandagon ex-Graflex XL. Both cells have peripheral rings of fire, the rear cell has silvery spots near center. It shoots beautifully.
    This is my case too but I only have the front cell that I bought exactly for this project for small money.

Not to be another on board the boat (and indeed not suggesting Mr Fromm being a nutcase!), but I think Jim Galli mentioned something somewhere about making the Symmar into a f:9 soft focus lens ... but let's see what the OP has in mind ...
    Indeed, this is my plan. He mentioned rear cell but front one will work also when I turn it around. I am using a iris clamp and as such this is not a problem for me.
    I have only the front cell. I could also bought a separate meniscus lens but for that I should have figured out how to mount it. Symmar has this already covered.
    The entire cell is ready to use as a somewhat soft lens, probably (reasoning from the original convertible Symmar) around 370/12. Why use only the inner element?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Why use only the inner element?
    I understand what you mean but why not both? Being able to unscrew front elements on will would allow me to use both combinations.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm on record as favoring tinkering, would be a hypocrite if I tried to discourage you from playing with your Symmar-S front cell.

Even though what you want to do seems like a bad idea, good luck, have fun,

Dan

I've dismantled a Symmar (135/5.6 convertible) front cell apart to remove internal haze (succeeded) but couldn't take the lens' rear cell apart to do the same to it. The tubes that hold the groups have thin walls and are easily distorted. Be very careful when working on yours.