Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scan vs DSLR vs Epson Scan (From Nick Carver's Youtube Channel)

loujon

Re: Drum Scan vs DSLR vs Epson Scan (From Nick Carver's Youtube Channel)

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    This is how you do it.

Attachment 200124
    He has been on my list for a good while but I must admit I can't help myself at times & I check the post out. Probably should know better but I keep holding out hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    He has been on my list for a good while but I must admit I can't help myself at times & I check the post out...
    I don't peek, but then there are people who quote his entire posts and make it impossible not to see them.

By the way, Pere is now also polluting PHOTRIO as member "138S."

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    ...Probably should know better but I keep holding out hope.
    To once again quote my favorite observed bumper sticker, "You'll feel much better when you give up hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I don't peek, but then there are people who quote his entire posts and make it impossible not to see them.

By the way, Pere is now also polluting PHOTRIO as member "138S."

To once again quote my favorite observed bumper sticker, "You'll feel much better when you give up hope."
    I engaged with 138S once and then quickly realized what was happening. Never again. Some people just want to watch the world burn...

Hi guys, you know well that I can deal with all you with both hands tied

But don't worry, I won't participate much in this forum from know because I'm busy with CAST and ATL retrofit, just saying that from time to time I may bring evidence about the truth.

Just remember that when Pali made that side by side scans were made by someone knowing what's an scanner, and in that situation results are equal, of course some are not able to get perfect LF results from an Epson, me I'm able, anyone needing to know how to do it can count with all help I can give. Is for this that I may post in the future, helping those wanting to learn how to use the Epson optimally.

Regards, see you.

Hi Pere.

I don't think anyone says the Epson isn't a nice scanner - it is and for the price it's hard to beat. If it had autofocus it would be a better scanner. And we can all do good work with the Epson. That doesn't mean that if one has the space and the $$$ that there isn't a better tool for the job. I've used the Epson for years. I've had the IQsmart for a few years now and I think it's a better tool. Drum scanning might be even better (but I found that the workflow wasn't for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Hi Pere.

I don't think anyone says the Epson isn't a nice scanner - it is and for the price it's hard to beat. If it had autofocus it would be a better scanner. And we can all do good work with the Epson. That doesn't mean that if one has the space and the $$$ that there isn't a better tool for the job. I've used the Epson for years. I've had the IQsmart for a few years now and I think it's a better tool. Drum scanning might be even better (but I found that the workflow wasn't for me.)
    If the Epson had ICE on the scanning bed for 8x10, and if it had AF, I would definitely be using one, even over my S1R workflow. How they could go from the V700/50 to the 800 series and not implement at least AF is beyond me.

Well, having moved up to 4x5, I don;t really want to stitch with my V600. So I have to make a decision, probably go with the v800 or v850.

If it had autofocus it would be a better scanner.
    Hello Jim

V800/850 holders are better than having Autofocus, focus is ensured with an ANR glass: perfect focus without cost/complexity of an AF system.

Also new holders have variable height and are V700/750 compatible.

Problem with ANR is that we have an additional chance to get dust, so an HEPA purifier can be recommended even more.

I've had the IQsmart for a few years now and I think it's a better tool. Drum scanning might be even better (but I found that the workflow wasn't for me.)

Drums and the Creo are way better scanners than the Epson, but this is only well noticed with 35mm film, For MF and up this is way less noticed.

By 5x7" (with custom holders) the Epson atonishingly good, at 8x10 the Epson is not as efficient than with 5x7 because it uses the LoRes lens, but still it takes 300Mpix effective from medium because format is large.

Principal drawback of the Epson is that it requires good skills from operator, but if it's the case then impressive results can be obtained for LF, less impressive for 35mm. But this is a LF forum, IIRC.

Dude - a real drum scanner requires even better operator skills that a flatbed and far too many purporting expertise in the area simply have little or none. The skill it takes to operate an Epson is peanuts compared to what it takes to fully understand the ins and outs of a drum scanner, both hardware and software. Critical focus, actual resolved detail, real dynamic range and most importantly to those of us printing, smoothness of gradations especially in areas like clear skies are all areas a good drum scan far outshines an Epson, and even far more expensive flatbed scanner for that matter. But again, if you have a shitty operator who thinks he's good or you have hardware that is not optimally maintained or the optical system is misaligned or dirty, the the playing field is no level. Really, I can't tell you how many times I've had people come to me and say that their scans didn't seem right. I always tell them that I don't know for sure if my drum scanner will be any better but I'm more than happy to give it a shot and see what happens. In every single case that stupid little desktop HR8000 has kicked ass over ever competing scanner I've come across, including Creo's, Hell's, Imacon's and even the beasts known as Crossfield. And let me tell you that 8000 ppi on a Crossfield drum doesn't begin to compare to the same on a properly aligned Howtek. While it's true that at smaller sizes you won't see as much as a difference, you may indeed if you know what you're looking for. As Robert Earl Keen wrote so many year ago -- it's the little things...that piss me off...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    Dude - a real drum scanner requires even better operator skills that a flatbed and far too many purporting expertise in the area simply have little or none. The skill it takes to operate an Epson is peanuts compared to what it takes to fully understand...

Sorry, I was not clear. I totally agree with you.

No doubt that operating a drum properly requires a true professional that probably also has amazing edition skills and a refined aesthetic criterion.

What I wanted to say is that a Pro machine usually delivers a welll digitally optimized image, while the Prosumer Epson allways requires some edition skills to optimize images manually, a discipline that not all home users do master well.

I you review the Pali test you'll find that the epson matches the scanmate 11k drum for Portra MF, this is because job was well done.