Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kodak 2D Light Leaks

Re: Kodak 2D Light Leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Agitate for 30s, then 4 tips or agitate for 10s every minute. Never had problems using the sp445. Must be something I'm doing with the SP810. Will try your suggestions.

Kent in SD
    Maybe it's the 10 seconds ever minute routine, maybe you could try two alternate lifts every 30 seconds?
    I just looked at your other thread and it seems you got better (more even) results in your first tests where you agitated every 30 seconds. Do you pre wet the film before pouring in the developer?

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I think I've found the biggest source of the light leak. On the top of the 8x10 back there is a brass channel strip, "P" shaped. It runs across the top of the back. It looks like it's there to give more stability and prevent wear as film holders are slid in. The problem isn't the flat part of the strip that's on the top, but the part that sticks down between the GG frame and the back. It's about 2mm thick. This prevents the holders from laying flat against the opening. When I push the holders all the way in so the lip on the holder engages this brass strip, the bottom of the holder sticks out past the bottom of the 8x10 back and leaves a big gap. I found no way to insert either a modern or vintage dark slide into the back where the holder would sit completely flush against the frame. The brass "P" strip interfered. Has anyone else seen this? When I removed the strip the holders so lay flat and there is very little if any light leak around the film holders. Why is that strip there?

Red arrow points to the brass strip.

Kent in SD
    Looks like the glue joint is failing. This could be a source of problem.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Foamer

OK, I think I've got things all sorted out now. There were several issues. First, a pin was missing from the 8x10 back. Second, two of the tabs/clips that engage the pins were bent and wouldn't hold the back in place. Third, slight warp in the 8x10 back. Fourth, the GG assembly was upside down and holders wouldn't seat correctly! Fifth, the helper springs for the GG fram were installed wrong. Sixth, I was being sloppy with measuring chemicals when processing. Seventh, my wife had changed the settings on my Epson scanner making it look like solarization! Turns out the highlights were clipping. Eighth, I was overexposing by almost a stop because of the icy fog and snow. It looks like I'm finally up and running though as the two shots I took tonight came out nice.

Thanks to all that offered advice!

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2Dfalls6m.jpg   K2DmushroomM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!