Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Access to classified sections for new members

Re: Access to classified sections for new members

Quote Originally Posted by akoltek View Post
    ...... I am trying to conduct market research into the value of a particular large format camera before I purchase it. This camera (a Wehman) is relatively uncommon and ebay and other markets do not have any data.
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    From what I have seen its pretty much a sellers market with the Wehman camera, It probably won't be on the market long enough for much research.
    It's really a matter of what the camera is worth to you, if it's the brand you want to use. As you are finding out they are not available often.
    gypsydog is right. On the rare occasions that a Wehman 8x10 is offered, it sells pretty much for whatever is asked (but, usually around $2000 ~ $2500 as I recal). For what it's worth you would not find many, if any recent sales here either. So, you're not missing out on anything.

You could just start a thread specifically asking for opinions though...

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

EDIT: I see Dan and I were thinink the same thing at the same time! Great minds and all that

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Bit of an authoritarian vibe here, but the practice of LF is a bit of a niche, so I'll have to put up with it.

I think the Wehman is likely just not the right camera for me, given its scarcity. I'm looking at a feature set, (field camera; rise/fall, swing, tilt on the front standard; not crazy crazy heavy like a toyo), and pricing value based on that, not necessarily the scarcity of any one camera and any premium that can command because someone really wants a particular make.

I'm just looking to move from 4x5 (I've been shooting an Arca Model B for the last 10 years). It's hard getting a gauge on market values as there isn't a lot of supply or turnover on markets, and I'd hate to end up in a position holding a camera with a value I can't recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Understand, under sod's law if you buy it one will turn up the next day at half the price and if you don't buy and someone else snags it another will come to market the next day at twice the price. In short, whatever you do will be wrong.
    This is hilarious

The other truth is, after you buy whatever rare thing, somebody will be sure to tell YOU he paid WAY less and you paid too much for XYZ

but you never know if he is bragging or simply lying...

really hard to tell on Infernet...
    Tin Can

Access to classified sections for new members

Quote Originally Posted by akoltek View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Bit of an authoritarian vibe here, but the practice of LF is a bit of a niche, so I'll have to put up with it.
    I participate in a number of forums, as does Oren (at least). We are strict about a few things but have a pretty light touch about most others. The sales forum is like a classifieds listing for active members, and this is the formula we use as the least objectionable of the available choices. But we endured a lot on the way to where we are, and we aren’t keen on relitigating all that again.

But you’ll find that unlike many other forums, we won’t edit posts or exercise enforcement just because someone is annoying. I’ve seen that sort of mod activity on every other forum I visit. People who read the guidelines rarely have any issue with moderation. The purpose of the guidelines is to help preserve the best of what this forum has always been, and that includes a tolerance for eccentricity and plainspokenness.

We are not authoritarian. More like a benevolent oligarchy.

So, stick around and participate. The participation may be worth something to you (and to us) even after you find your Wehman.

Rick “and now you’ve heard from the whole moderation team” Denney