Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Budget wide angle lens for 8x10

Re: Budget wide angle lens for 8x10

165mm f6.8 Angulon has a Schneider spec image circle of 300mm @ f16 (min for 8x10 is 312mm), too small for 8x10, might sort of cover at f45. Do use this lens on 5x7 with good results.

Tiny lens that does cover 8x10, Protar V f18 advertised as 110 degrees of image circle. Owned, tested and passed on after one sheet of 8x10 color transparency. Did not meet performance expectations. These were really low cost at one point, does cover 8x10, optical performance is not even close to a modern Biogon type_ish wide angle lens.

Bernice

Bernice

Foamer

I'm assuming that for the Symmar S 210mm we are talking about the one with Copal 3, not Copal 1?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If that is directed at me, since I mentioned the Symmar-S, no I'm talking about the Copal 1 lens. Are you thinking the Super Symmar XL? Different lens, and WAY more money, if you can even find one.

The Symmar-S doesn't officially cover, but I shot dozens of negatives with it. No movements available, but no complaints on performance.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    165mm f6.8 Angulon has a Schneider spec image circle of 300mm @ f16 (min for 8x10 is 312mm), too small for 8x10, might sort of cover at f45. Do use this lens on 5x7 with good results.

Tiny lens that does cover 8x10, Protar V f18 advertised as 110 degrees of image circle. Owned, tested and passed on after one sheet of 8x10 color transparency. Did not meet performance expectations. These were really low cost at one point, does cover 8x10, optical performance is not even close to a modern Biogon type_ish wide angle lens.

Bernice

Bernice
    Schneider also rated it at 95° at f/45 (=359.7mm).

Also owned and tested. Their main problem is bad lens variation in the earliest ones (the uncoated one and the early coated ones with the red triangle).

Stopped all the way down to f/64, I've made lovely contract prints on 11x14 with it.

My 165 didn't make the corners focused in the foreground and stopped down. Corran was your 159 an f/9.5 or an f12.5? Mine is a late coated one.
    Last edited by Chauncey Walden; 31-Jan-2020 at 22:32.

Really don't remember at the moment, I'd have to dig through my created threads as I think I listed it here for sale.

Angulon-type wide-angle lenses in my usage have poor corner performance in general, best when stopped way down. I think field curvature more than anything.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Foamer

So, is there a consensus on what is a good value wide angle lens for 8x10--not too expensive, offers some movements? Or is it impossible to have any consensus on a gear forum?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Haven't there been quite a few options listed? In 210, a g-claron, inside-lettering Fujinon, or some other 210 plasmats if little movement are needed, are all fairly modern lenses in recent shutters that are available for reasonable amounts. Wider gets harder. A 159 Wollensak can be a good performer, but they're fairly dim, they're in older shutters that have some peculiarities, e.g. your cable release can't be a long-throw type, and I doubt that they're as sharp in the corners as the much more expensive options. 165 Angulons are about 1/3 the price of, say, a 150 Nikkor SW. 120SWs can work, and they aren't that expensive, but they are super wide, they don't allow much wiggle room, but they certainly can work. I've used my 120 SA on my 8x10 a number of times with good results.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Metrogon, perhaps?

For really wide, if you don't need movements, the old 121 Super Angulon does a good job. I believe it has just a tad more coverage than the 120.