Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget wide angle lens for 8x10

Budget wide angle lens for 8x10

Hi

Since getting started in 8x10 I've been looking for a wide angle lens similar to my 90mm Super Angulon for my 4x5.

I've been eyeing the Schneider Super Angulon 165mm on ebay, but at over $1000CAD it's not exactly in the budget right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more budget option?

Re: Budget wide angle lens for 8x10

120mm f/8 Nikkor SW.

Am seeing them for under $400. Two I have used cover 8x10.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

159mm WA Raptar. Your camera might limit what lenses are easy to use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

8x10 has never been an amateur format, and wide-angle lenses that cover the format have never been cheap (or common). There are several threads about the subject on this forum, some quite lengthy. I'd do a search...
    I will say that I liked shooting on 8x10 with a 250/6.3 Wide Field Ektar, and wish that I'd kept that kit, but that's not really a budget option.
    No doubt someone with more knowledge than me will speak up shortly... best of luck!

159mm Wollensaks are wide, cover 8x10 and don't go for much, so that is what I bought.
    In the real world though, I found it's too wide for most applications and rarely gets used so it spends most of it's time on a 5x7
    If you already have a 210mm G Claron or your 4x5, I'd suggest giving that a try.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatson View Post
    Hi

Since getting started in 8x10 I've been looking for a wide angle lens similar to my 90mm Super Angulon for my 4x5.

I've been eyeing the Schneider Super Angulon 165mm on ebay, but at over $1000CAD it's not exactly in the budget right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more budget option?

Fujinon 180mm. Image circle claim is 305mm and it covers the opening in my 8x10 film holders.
    I got this for about $175, I think they might cost more now, but maybe not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180Fujinon.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	200043

Comparable to 90mm on 4x5?
    210mm (8 1/4") Dagor. f/6.3 gives you adequate light with which to focus. Often available in an Ilex #3 synchro shutter. Not the most modern, but they can be good. And not a lot of money. Also fairly lightweight and it's small enough to fit on a Technika lensboard.
    I'll admit up front that it's longer than a strict 90-on-4x5 equivalent. But it still gives a feeling of breadth and openness which compares well. As you move up through Large Format into larger negatives sometime things don't equate directly. You really just have to look at it and decide if it does what you want. IC's Fuji suggestion above fits the comparison formula ideally. So this is simply suggested as an alternate solution

It's what I use and I like it.
    My 2˘, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    120mm f/8 Nikkor SW.

Am seeing them for under $400. Two I have used cover 8x10.
    Had one. Barely covers straight on and needs the right camera given bellows and standard issues with vignetting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fujinon 210/5.6 with inside lettering is a good option. Computar 210/9 a more expensive option with more coverage. Both not quite as wide but nearly what you want. Otherwise, the gold star is the Schneider 150/5.6 SSXL but a pretty penny.

There's now a 210/6.8 Boyer Beryl (Dagor clone, claimed coverage 384 mm) in barrel but front-mounted on a Compound shutter on ebay.fr. 185 Euros, not clear whether the seller, in Germany, will ship outside the EU but asking is cheap.