Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HP5+ and Pyrocat HD in a Jobo CPP3

Re: HP5+ and Pyrocat HD in a Jobo CPP3

Thanks, Greg.

Are using your SRARK with PMK and / or Pyrocat? My experience with PMK for example with tray processing is even with long presoak, it's very easy to get streaking if film is not completely submerged in developer very quickly. You results are promising as my home space requirements / restrictions are similar to yours. The CPP3 is awesome, but belongs to my place of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I take the drum off the Stark to manually fill and drain it. It's amazing how fast one can manually fill the drum. One trick is to slightly tilt the drum when filling it. I always use a water bath before the developer, and my shortest processing time with conventional developers is 11 minutes. Ran a test sheet and there was no discernible uneven development. If one does not use a pre-developer water bath and if one's development time is less than say 5 minutes, yes there might be some uneven development. For testing lenses and to save time, I have processed those negatives in a low dilution of Rodinal for 5 minutes without the water bath... contact prints from the negatives did not show any uneven development. For processing negatives that I will be scanning I use no water bath and develop in Diafine A & B. I also have increased the developing times in the A and B solutions to 5 minutes each. Again no discernible uneven development. My rule of thumb has always (with the exception of lens test negatives) been to use developers or modify them so as to never have developer times of less than 10 minutes. I once did own and use a slightly modified CPA or CPP (forget which is which). Loved it but its width was over 3 feet and I had to remove it from the sink when processing prints. The STARK's width is only 2 feet, and now I don't have to remove it when processing prints. Plus my vertical Kostiner print washer sits behind the STARK.

Derailing the thread for bit... Well many times I have found this happening and leading to a more interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks, Greg.

Are using your SRARK with PMK and / or Pyrocat? My experience with PMK for example with tray processing is even with long presoak, it's very easy to get streaking if film is not completely submerged in developer very quickly. You results are promising as my home space requirements / restrictions are similar to yours. The CPP3 is awesome, but belongs to my place of work.
    Developed the film with PYROCAT-HD in GLYCOL. Undergoing minor renovations in the darkroom at this time and unfortunately I have temporarily misplaced my darkroom log for 2019, and the development details were recorded in it. But I do remember doing a longer than normal presoak. First time I manually poured the developer into a large JOBO drum took me maybe 20+ seconds and another few seconds to place in on to the SPARK and turn the STARK on. I wasn't tilting the drum which was the main problem. Now-a-days pouring the developer manually into a large tilted JOBO drum takes me all of 4-5 seconds and just another second or so to place it on the already rotating wheels on the SPARK. It most probably doesn't beat using a JOBO CPA or CPP, but it comes very close.

Thanks, Greg. That’s interesting. I love the Jobo I use at work but really do need my own unit, and the Stark is interesting for its footprint although I’d prefer the CPP3 for convenience.

Has the OP had any success with Pyrocat and HP5 yet?

Just passing on my experiences with JOBO drums. I use the following JOBO drums:

#3005 for processing up to 5 sheets of 8x10 and/or whole plate film. Have never had any problems with film scratching. I do rinse the drum out with hot water several times after each use. Processing has always been totally even. When starting off, easy to load 2 sheets of film into one of the film "slots"... happened once the first time I used the drum to process 5 sheets of film, but never again.

#3062 for processing up to 2 sheets of 11x14 film. In my JOBO literature, JOBO spec'd the 3062 as a "print drum" but in its literature also lists the 3000 series drums for processing "sheet film and prints". JOBO did make a #3027 for processing 11x14 film but I have never seen one up for sale. For years have used this drum to process 2 sheets of 11x14 film without any problems. Trusted the internal ribs to hold the sheets of film in place, but then last fall had one sheet come loose and "laminate" itself on to the other sheet of film resulting is both sheets being ruined. I do have some JOBO "paper holder clips" that would insure the sheets of film not coming loose but have resisted in using them, fearing that they might cause localized uneven development. Will continue on not using the "paper holder clips" and assume that I mis-loaded one sheet of film that one time... time will tell.

#2830 for processing 2 sheets of 8x10 film. JOBO spec'd out this drum for processing prints (and not film) but I use it for processing film. Have always had repeatable and even processing with this drum. I have never seen the need to use the "paper holder clips" on the internal ribs.

Instead of using a JOBO CPA or CPP, I use a STARK SST4 to rotate my drums. It does have a temp controlled heater bath, but I rarely have the need to use it since the ambient temperature in my darkroom is usually in the high 60s, and I do not process color. Hand filling and emptying the drums I actually prefer to using the JOBO lift. I also have a JOBO TBE-2/12 Tempering Box which I thought I'd be using a lot, but actually rarely use it. I've used staining developers on occasions with the above drums and experienced even development. I have read of people having uneven development problems with additional agitation caused by the internal ribs, but with staining developers. I increased the recommended developer volumes to hopefully negate this problem... no sure if this worked or not, but my development with staining developers has been even so continue on doing this. Occasionally tray process sheet film in the dark, but lately much prefer to let the STARK SST4 processor agitate my film while spend the time reading in the light. Started out with using Cibachrome drums on Unicolor Unirollers. Continuously had problems with the drums coming off the Unirollers. Though still use them for "quick" processing (Rodinal 1:25) of single sheets of film when testing the coverage of a lens.
    Hi Greg,

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am using the Stark SST4 as well with the 3005, I was wondering what speed you're using to develop using Pyrocat HD—as I understand negatives need to be developed at the slowest speeds possible with Pyro HD.

On another note, attached a photo and wanted to understand if this is the slowest point on the knob settings. The manual doesn't have diagrams to show how exactly.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Jobo turns the drum the same distance at all speeds. I run mine as slow as it will go and have no problems.
    Remember - It isn't the total quantity of diluted developer, but the quantity of concentrate which is important.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Hi Greg,

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am using the Stark SST4 as well with the 3005, I was wondering what speed you're using to develop using Pyrocat HD—as I understand negatives need to be developed at the slowest speeds possible with Pyro HD.

On another note, attached a photo and wanted to understand if this is the slowest point on the knob settings. The manual doesn't have diagrams to show how exactly.

Thanks!

That is the one setting I have used all the time. Seems as that one knob controls the speed by turning it in one direction, and by turning the knob in the other direction, the time between changing the rotation direction increases. Seem a bit odd the way it was designed and or engineered. The manual that came with my STARK was very hard to follow... I think we can both agree on that.
    Greg

That is the one setting I have used all the time. Seems as that one knob controls the speed by turning it in one direction, and by turning the knob in the other direction, the time between changing the rotation direction increases. Seem a bit odd the way it was designed and or engineered. The manual that came with my STARK was very hard to follow... I think we can both agree on that.
    Greg
    Okay, good to know! Would have been better with a resounding click stop to know where things are.

On a side note how much chemistry do you use with the 3005 with one sheet or with 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The Jobo turns the drum the same distance at all speeds. I run mine as slow as it will go and have no problems.
    Remember - It isn't the total quantity of diluted developer, but the quantity of concentrate which is important.
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Okay, good to know! Would have been better with a resounding click stop to know where things are.

On a side note how much chemistry do you use with the 3005 with one sheet or with 5?

JOBO recommends using between 270-630 ml. I have been consistently using 500 ml no matter if I am running 1 sheet or 5 sheets of 8x10 and/or whole plate and have been getting consistent results for quite some number of years now. Will be starting to use Photographer's Formulary PYROCAT-MC in Glycol. Am about to run some tests at different dilutions. I also process 11x14s in JOBO 3062 drums using 600 ml of developer. To keep things simple when mixing up the dilutions, I plan on using somewhere between 600-700ml in both of the tanks. We will see how it goes....
    Greg

JOBO recommends using between 270-630 ml. I have been consistently using 500 ml no matter if I am running 1 sheet or 5 sheets of 8x10 and/or whole plate and have been getting consistent results for quite some number of years now. Will be starting to use Photographer's Formulary PYROCAT-MC in Glycol. Am about to run some tests at different dilutions. I also process 11x14s in JOBO 3062 drums using 600 ml of developer. To keep things simple when mixing up the dilutions, I plan on using somewhere between 600-700ml in both of the tanks. We will see how it goes....
    Greg
    Goodluck!

I've yet to see successful negs on the slowest speed with my Stark at 1+1+100 Pyro HD.

Do the edges of your neg come out really clear or a bit fogged?