Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to use the Speed Graphic handheld from time to time?

Re: Is it worth it to use the Speed Graphic handheld from time to time?

How to hand-hold my Speed Graphic? Image and discussion straight out of WWII training manual

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...raphic.259522/
    Tin Can

Good example pic on that link:

That's exactly how I hold my Speed or Linhof, except with the hands reversed on the Linhof (grip/shutter release on the left side).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks for that!

Also, with reference to the Canadian Lieutenant photo posted above, it is proven that your pictures will be sharper if you can pull off wearing a snappy beret, and even if they aren't sharper, you'll look sharp.

I have been hand holding the Speed Graphic pretty much all the time. The scans are too large to post here, but if you want to see the negative detail from an El Vez performance (always entertaining BTW) go to the link below. See the detail in his tiger suit? The cat ears on the dancers? The reflections in the trees from the window above them on the outdoor stage?

http://dougeflash.com/index.php/people/#jp-carousel-102

The other pluses is the camera is calibrated with built in stops, so with practice one can remove camera from bag or case, it can be opened and mostly set by feel, and start shooting... You can quickly bang off a few sheets easily...

Not everywhere you go allows tripods, So the advantage rather than problem is most LF gear is limited to a tripod, so you can wander around shooting someplace casually framing shots with the viewfinder...

And you can put it on a tripod too...

Because of the size and slight heft of the camera, it tends to steady itself somewhat...

A few sheets exposed on a bright day shot handheld with shorter speeds will look great, once you get the hang of everything... Hey, go shoot a burning Hindenburg with it... It has been done... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Good example pic on that link: ... That's exactly how I hold my Speed or Linhof, except with the hands reversed on the Linhof (grip/shutter release on the left side).
    I never looked that cool with my pre-anniversary Speed!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It seems to me that this thread has concentrated on "is it possible to use the SG handheld" (which is obviously "yes, that was what its was designed for") rather than "why use the SG handheld?" I can see arguments on both sides, which in the end come down to why one uses Large Format in the first place. The OP starts the thread mentioning technical, sharp images. Many of us enjoy using view cameras for precisely that reason: the process is slow, thoughtful, we can frame accurately, focus accurately (often using a loupe), and utilize swings and tilts to control our plane of focus. Those are all reasons which require a tripod and GG focusing. Then there are those of us who prefer working with the large negatives in the darkroom; for me that is a tactile thing, if I describe it to non-LF-users, I am always gesturing with my hands how I hold the large negatives. Of course, for many (most?) it is both of those things. But if it is precision we are after, handholding the SG defeats the purpose. If it is the large negative in the darkroom, then handholding does make sense. You need to be aware of your motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    But if it is precision we are after, handholding the SG defeats the purpose. If it is the large negative in the darkroom, then handholding does make sense. You need to be aware of your motivation.
    You get it. I did mean "does it make sense to," not literally "can I?" From reading this and from my exploration of LF so far, I am beginning to conclude that it makes all the sense in the world to (sparingly) shoot handheld with the Speed Graphic. And of course, my motivation is to have fun and create something that I can enjoy and show people. So yeah, I think it makes sense, all told.

Drew Wiley

I'm not a Speed Graphic aficionado, but isn't that how thousands of news photographers did it for at least a couple decades? That would kinda settle the possibility question.
    Heck, my own brother routinely handheld a 4x5 Linhof Technika for commercial shoots where fast activity was involved. For very fussy image sharpness in high-vibration environments like around heavy pounding industrial machinery or aboard a helicopter, he attached a gyro; the results were amazing.

News shooters for decades used them and did just fine. If you want to use it that way - why would we try to discourage you?
    Remember that the old "f/8 and be there" came from the time they were the main tools of Press Photographers.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.