Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Processing Troubles

Foamer

Re: Processing Troubles

Was out today photo'ing the ice races on Lake Brant using Nikon D850. Decided to try a couple of sheets of FP4+ in the Kodak 2D 8x10. Exposure was "Sunny 22", simple enough. Was very fastidious with processing. I think my problem is now pretty obvious! Will get a flashlight out and the top of the back for the obvious light leak. Will also check bellows attachment too, of course. I was having trouble getting the back (and holder) to sit tightly.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2DracersM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

Well, bigger problems than I though. Shining a flashlight around inside the camera I discovered not one but several sources of light leaks:

1. The brass clips on the rear standard don't pull the back up tightly. There is some play.
    2. The 8x10 back has a slight diagonal warp.
    3. Film holders do not completely cover up the opening. I tried both vintage ones and modern plastic ones.

So, I'm not sure what to do. The brass clips might be able to be bent a little to tighten things up, but very carefully! That would probably get rid of the play in the back and pull it up tight despite the slight warp. The holders leaving a gap seems more problematic.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

A new back without any warp should solve this problem - as long as the camera body does not have any warps.

For now - try the Morley Baer wrap. Morley's 8x10 had bellows leaks and he would compose, focus and put in a film holder and use the dark cloth to wrap the camera - covering the light leaks. Then shoot and get the dark slide back in the holder without leaving things open for any length of time. Might try a shot or two doing that and see if it will allow you images without the light leaks.

A roll of Gaffer's tape and covering the area may be doable until you get it fixed.

Best of luck on it.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

glad you seem to have found the problem with the leaks. wonder of spring clamps can be used to tighten up the mating, until you come to a more long term solution (ideally a replacement back)
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I don't understand the gap you're speaking of... If it is due to the warp, then a bit of woodworking/machining seems to be in order. But if the filmholders aren't covering the opening for some reason, I would think that they weren't being inserted properly. You may want to find a small-parts machinist or fine woodworker in your area and get their opinion(s) if you don't feel you have the skills and tools to deal with the problems yourself.

But don't despair! As my favorite mechanic once stated: "It's a machine; it can be repaired."

Good luck,

Doremus

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I don't understand the gap you're speaking of... If it is due to the warp, then a bit of woodworking/machining seems to be in order. But if the filmholders aren't covering the opening for some reason, I would think that they weren't being inserted properly. You may want to find a small-parts machinist or fine woodworker in your area and get their opinion(s) if you don't feel you have the skills and tools to deal with the problems yourself.

But don't despair! As my favorite mechanic once stated: "It's a machine; it can be repaired."

Good luck,

Doremus
    I'm going to look at it more closely tonight. I think the biggest issue is the brass clips not lining up and catching properly. The warp isn't great and the clips could conceivably pull everything tight if they were positioned right. I am having trouble figuring out how to insert the holder. They aren't as easy as my Chamonix45. I do have a professional woodworking shop in a nearby town that likes small projects.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Foamer

Will continue thread on the camera forum, "Kodak 2D Light Leaks".

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria