Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LPL 4550XL + Heiland LED Explainer?

Re: LPL 4550XL + Heiland LED Explainer?

It arrives tomorrow, I'll hopefully do a full rundown.

Going on three years with my Heiland LED VC unit (Zone 6 series 2 enlarger), and must say that this has been one of the best darkroom investment I've ever made. Consistent, efficient, absolutely reliable - has easily more than paid for itself in terms of time and paper saved, and has helped me to further explore creative avenues which before this were, at least for me, exceedingly difficult. Have Fun!

Got it installed and we are in business. More on this to follow. I need to build a console because cables are everywhere!

Pictures of everything including the before and after cable box

Please

I am very interested in Heiland and here is a video by maker https://youtu.be/P--pyN1mWH4
    Tin Can

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPzs1wqeUKY89JAG6

I have some photos up of the various parts. The install was simple. You just take the mixing box out, and drop in the LED panel in it's place. It also comes with a cap to the enlarger that seals off the light and allows the cable to exit the head.

The controller boxes are connected via scuzzy type. A bit of a PITA if you're like me and likely to be swapping between the cold light and color controllers.

The cold light is very straightforward. You have grades 00-5, plus an 'electric' aperture if you will. I will likely standardize around 1 brightness setting so as not to introduce too many variables.

Now the color controller is where it gets interesting. CMY controls that I'm used to? Nope. RGB numbers that go from 0-400. It actually takes forever to cycle from one end to the other. 0 appears to just be fully off. 400, the opposite. The instructions has a handy guide for how to think about balancing color, but it also says that the points should go from 0-200, so something must have changed.

I'm used to the standard never touch cyan, start at a 'certain combination' according to the box. This is all new to me. I think it's going to take a while to get used to.

The other note is that the lamp/fan housing and module slot have basically no purpose now. However the enlarger looks a little funny with it removed. I might try to find a 'white light' module so I can sell my VCCE and Dichro sets.

Any questions?!

Yes, did you buy a Split Grade Module?

If not what if any module?

How bright is it?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Yes, did you buy a Split Grade Module?

If not what if any module?

How bright is it?
    No split grade, as you can see from the pictures I have an Analyser Pro. The SG is probably better, but it's over a grand and I was already spending a ton. The modules are the cold light standard multigrade controller, and the color controller.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    ...The controller boxes are connected via scuzzy type. A bit of a PITA if you're like me and likely to be swapping between the cold light and color controllers...Any questions?!
    Is the interface actually SCSI or are you simply commenting on the D-type connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Is the interface actually SCSI or are you simply commenting on the D-type connectors?
    I have no idea. They look like a scuzzy so I call them a scuzzy.

Can you post a photo of the head on the enlarger?