Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 45mxt and contrast filters

45mxt and contrast filters

I'm just about ready to print. The question I have is do you trim the filters to fit since the filter tray is rounded at one end and the filters are square?

loujon

Re: 45mxt and contrast filters

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    I'm just about ready to print. The question I have is do you trim the filters to fit since the filter tray is rounded at one end and the filters are square?
    That's what I did when I used my condenser head. Sort of hurts but seems to be necessary for the filters to fit in correct position.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Ilford sells (or sold) a mutigrade filter kit of round filters in rectangular holders with paddle handles that slide into the below the lens filter holder of the MXT and is an exact fit. The filters are grade 0 to 5 in 1/2 step arrangements and also includes a red filter. If no longer available new, look for them used. With the holders with paddle handles allows you to avoid touching the filters.

Thomas

If you've got the below-the-lens swing-away filter holder, they take square 2 1/4-inch filters. The corners just stick out and leave some room for handling.

If you have the above-the-lens slide-in filter tray, they take the same-size square filters (I think it was a Beseler standard).

Or use the Ilford clip-on under-the-lens filter if you want and have one.

Best,

Doremus

I have both filter holders I bought the 6x6 filters for above the negative tray. It's just that one end of the tray is rounded. I guess i'll be cutting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    That's what I did when I used my condenser head. Sort of hurts but seems to be necessary for the filters to fit in correct position.
    I'm guessing scissors will do?

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    I'm guessing scissors will do?
    Yes as I recall I made a template so I could trace out the necessary cuts lines needed. Just make sure your using a good set of shears and test by cutting one of your least likely used filters so one at either end. I had little trouble trimming them and once finished they become so much easier to deal with.

I know what you are talking about and in my case I couldn't cut a filter in any way and make it work in the filter tray without blocking some of the negative (4x5). I don't think the upper-stage filter "tray" works for larger film. In fact I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work at all - what's the point of the curved end??
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You guys must have a different filter-holder than I do. I have a 45MCRX (with the tapered bellows) with an above-the-lens filter holder that takes 6x6cm filter (2 1/4-inch squares), no curved end. My 45MXT has the under-the-lens swing-away holder; again, 6x6 cm square filters... What do you have? Are you referring to the filter tray below the condensers? I have color and cold-light heads on my Beselers.

Yes it's on the actual Beseler 45 condenser head, I just checked. I switched to a condenser last year and have been using that almost exclusively.

My 45 MXT has no above-the-lens filter holder. I wish it did! Neither does the VXL as far as I can tell. I have a plain MX too but I don't think that has one either.

I've never seen an MCRX.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome