Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: source of new shutters

source of new shutters

I am new to this, but is there a current source for new shutters? I ask for two reasons - like to buy one or two as I have had bad luck with used ones.. though I do have a cool display of old shutters, secondly through my wife I have contacts in South America that own manufacturing companies that make parts much like shutters for the oil industry....

loujon

Re: source of new shutters

No longer available as new and all stock left has probably been bought up by manufacturers like Rodenstock & others.

Hi!

If we are speaking about mechanical leaf shutters, Packard shutters do exist!
    https://packardshutter.com/

Sure if you need speeds up to 1/60-th, Packard shutters are not what you need.
    There exist various electronic leaf shutters ...
    at a nominal cost ...

Electronic ones like the Rodenstock eShutter but mechanical ones like Copal are all out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    I am new to this, but is there a current source for new shutters? I ask for two reasons - like to buy one or two as I have had bad luck with used ones.. though I do have a cool display of old shutters, secondly through my wife I have contacts in South America that own manufacturing companies that make parts much like shutters for the oil industry....
    I believe most of these are still working: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=Nikkor-W+ Everything for the oil industry has to be explotion proof, so I can't think any company will economic gain to switch to lens shutters with such prices.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

As indicated by others, new mechanical shutters are no longer being built, and that is not a technical decision, but an economic one, as there is unlikely sufficient market demand to justify the manufacturing costs, including infrastructure cost (e.g. tooling and assembly equipment).

If we eliminate the word "new" from your requirement, then you might find on eBay a large number of lens groups being sold without shutters, and my assumption is the shutters were worth more to the individual, than the assembled lens. So in some cases you could buy a lens with the shutter you want and might be able to purchase it cheaply if the lens is not desirable due to condition or just because of the nature of the lens itself. Many mechanical shutters have a long service lifetimes with regular CLAs (Clean, Lubricate, Adjust), and can be repaired as long as the parts are available, and non-working shutters are sometimes cannibalized for the purpose of providing those parts.

You might want to look further into whether you can have your existing shutters repaired.

If you are able to find someone or some organization who is prepared to manufacture new standardized shutters at a reasonable cost, that would be a great benefit to our LF community.

I suspect however that it would need to be a non-economic based decision for them...

Hope that provides some further insight,

Len

If you need a Copal 3, they're still available brand new:

My wife's family is from Venezuela, a country that has a ton of problems - one uncle in particular has a manufacturing plant, with very little to manufacture but because of the laws he has to keep a good portion of the workers employed. They get enough business from the oil company to get by, but has excess capacity in both machinery and workers. I'll send him down a shutter and see what they think.

My wife's family is from Venezuela, a country that has a ton of problems - one uncle in particular has a manufacturing plant, with very little to manufacture but because of the laws he has to keep a good portion of the workers employed. They get enough business from the oil company to get by, but has excess capacity in both machinery and workers. I'll send him down a shutter and see what they think.
    Be sure to let him know the dimensional tolerances when sending that shutter. Distance between mounting surfaces is critical.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do make sure you send him a standard sized shutter i.e. Copal 0, 1, or 3 for reference...