Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Software rather than center filter for correcting illumination falloff?

Drew Wiley

Re: Software rather than center filter for correcting illumination falloff?

Of course. But having done a lot of darkroom printing as well as having seen a lot of things that simply couldn't be post-corrected ala scan, etc, there is a commonality to the issue, the same problem involved. Unless you are going to "paint" or "dub" or "fake" texture, color, and detail where it's not actually there on the film, you can't reproduce it. I've seen people spend a lot of money and time trying. A center filter is good insurance and a lot simpler solution. I was simply offering an illustration. A direct print tells the story in a more straightforward manner than jumping through a bunch of digital hoops, but the underlying issue is exactly the same, and it comes with the territory when people use superwides and ultrawides. The last time I toted the combination of a SW and CF, I was shooting in a dark tunnel toward the light with probably a 14-stop lighting ratio. That's a hard enough cat to bag by itself without factoring in significant additional falloff. And doing a whole lot of minus this and that dev simply flattens the mid and upper tonal separation, so I wanted to keep that loss to a minimum. I've shot numerous analogous situations like cave entrances and deep narrow canyons, and with color film the issue is way worse.

Using software solutions for this makes sense for digital imaging, where bringing up exposure in the corners is a lot more manageable and is quite common in MF digital with non-retrofocus wides.

With b&w film the loss of light can usually be managed if the film was given enough exposure to begin with. Color neg may introduce some color shift depending on the situation, and finally all bets are off with positive film due to the limited dynamic range.

Center filters are the best solution on film and I suppose compared to the cost of E-6 film and processing (and a good scan!) if that's what you are shooting primarily, the cost of the filter isn't exorbitant. Negative material could go either way depending on the user and specifics.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I use the Schneider center filter on my 90mm Super Angulon most of the time - but then again I use it on 5 x 7.