Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westen Photographic Historical Society annual Show and Sale

Westen Photographic Historical Society annual Show and Sale

On Sunday March 1st the Western Photographic Historical Society (WPHS) is having their annual show and sale. The show runs from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm at the Jewish Community Center, located at 3800 E River Rd, Tucson, AZ 85718

There will be many vendors selling used photographic equipment and paraphernalia. And KEH will be there to buy your used equipment. WPHS will also be selling and buying equipment.

It is a good chance to meet and greet new friends.

The WPHS is a 501c3 non-profit.

https://www.wphsociety.org/annual-show/
    Last edited by gene LaFord; 24-Jan-2020 at 19:35.

Re: Westen Photographic Historical Society annual Show and Sale

Bump... this is a good opportunity to either buy or sell LF gear and meet a few LF photographers here in Tucson.

I can imagine that this is a very enjoyable show, but unfortunately, it's just to far away for me to consider.Everyone participates in these shows with the goal of selling as much of their gear as possible, my experience with KEH at our local show here in Vancouver BC was kind of depressing. Showing up early before the door's opened, I wanted to be able to browse all the best stuff when the show started. Then I saw KEH was already packing up boxes of gear that they had creamed off the tables well ahead of the opening. That meant basically only sloppy seconds/dregs were left. Almost all of the special, unique gear was already scooped for reselling. So, gear doesn't stay in the immediate market, and local photographers don't get access to some of the special unique older equipment. Kind of sucks, but that's capitalism right? Don't get me wrong, as I've purchased gear from KEH, many years ago.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'm at this show every year doing free tintype portraits, and KEH hasn't been a problem for us. Small dealers know that the private buyers attending the show will pay a lot more than KEH. Instead, people attending the show bring in stuff to sell throughout the day, and as often as not, sell or trade to one of the smaller dealers. And KEH doesn't handle much of the "special, unique gear"; as big retailers they're more into modern mainstream digital and the well-known names like Leica and Hasselblad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy McKay View Post
    I can imagine that this is a very enjoyable show, but unfortunately, it's just to far away for me to consider.Everyone participates in these shows with the goal of selling as much of their gear as possible, my experience with KEH at our local show here in Vancouver BC was kind of depressing. Showing up early before the door's opened, I wanted to be able to browse all the best stuff when the show started. Then I saw KEH was already packing up boxes of gear that they had creamed off the tables well ahead of the opening. That meant basically only sloppy seconds/dregs were left. Almost all of the special, unique gear was already scooped for reselling. So, gear doesn't stay in the immediate market, and local photographers don't get access to some of the special unique older equipment. Kind of sucks, but that's capitalism right? Don't get me wrong, as I've purchased gear from KEH, many years ago.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Old School Wayne

Sweet. There's at least a chance in hell I might be in the area. But not much of one.

BUMP... the show/sale is this coming Sunday... don't miss it!

This will be the third of these shows that i'll attend- and the first working it. I predict that there will be plenty of undiscovered photo gems to be found... even, perhaps, the Holy Grail lens- whichever that might be.
    Mr. Sawyer is a fine portraitist as well- two years ago he even made me look good!

Playing with the collodion yesterday, getting ready for the show. With a 14.5-inch Ilex-Caltar coated Tessar lens. A bit contrasty, so will go with something older and uncoated at the show Sunday...

Kayla 1, w/14.5-inch Ilex-Caltar Tessar

Kayla 2
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Mark... bring those Thursday to Beyonce Bread. I would love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by gene LaFord View Post
    Mark... bring those Thursday to Beyonce Bread. I would love to see them.
    Do you mean Bread, Bath & Beyond?