Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarged Film Negatives Process?

Enlarged Film Negatives Process?

Does anyone know of a set of instructions available for making some enlarged film negatives?

I have some 4x5 FP4 negatives that I would like to enlarge to 8x10. I am looking for some instructions that are trustworthy and known to work.

I am generally familiar with the process and the content that I am finding online is either wrong in some cases, or missing key information. I make contact prints and enalrgements from my 4x5 and 8x10 negatives, so I should probably have everything I would need to make the enlarged negatives.

So, if you know of a set of instructions that you have used personally, or if you maybe even have your own notes and are will to share, I would love to try my hand at this because I have no desire to make digital negatives. I don't own a computer or inkjet printer and never will. I have a little Chromebook for going to websites like this and that is all I need. I figured someone was going to suggest making digital negatives, so I thought I would address that up front.

Thanks

Larry

Re: Enlarged Film Negatives Process?

I just found the Roba Apposta B&W Reversal kit from Italty and I am wondering if this would make the interpositive process a lot more simpler?

http://www.brancoottico.fineartlabo....-reversal-kit/

Then, once I have the interpositive, making the new negative is fairly easy and straight forward.

Any thoughts about this approach?

I've used the process described on unlinkingeye.com. Short review: the first exposure determines the negative shadow density, and is fairly easy to nail down. The second, "flash" exposure determines the highlight density, and is a bit harder to get right. I find that an enlarging meter helps a lot in both cases.

Thanks for the first-hand info. I appreciate that. I have wanted to tackle enlarging my 4x5 negatives for several years now, and this year is the year I am going to dig in and make it happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revdoc View Post
    I've used the process described on unlinkingeye.com. Short review: the first exposure determines the negative shadow density, and is fairly easy to nail down. The second, "flash" exposure determines the highlight density, and is a bit harder to get right. I find that an enlarging meter helps a lot in both cases.

I'll enjoy hearing about how it works out. I bought some Ilford Ortho Plus yesterday to experiment with enlarging some 35mm negatives to 4x5, before I try enlarging my 4x5s to 8x10 and 11x14 for contact printing.

I have used X-Ray film to make a few internegs. One was 5X7 with empty space, so a 4X5 neg contact copy worked fine, then enlarged that to make a 11X14 negative print

Since we are now 100 seconds to Midnight, timely to show it again

Atomic Bomb by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tin Can; 24-Jan-2020 at 14:12. Reason: correct doomsday
    Tin Can

I just ordered some of the Ortho Plus myself. Should be here in a couple of days... And I also have some Rollei 25 coming too.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    I'll enjoy hearing about how it works out. I bought some Ilford Ortho Plus yesterday to experiment with enlarging some 35mm negatives to 4x5, before I try enlarging my 4x5s to 8x10 and 11x14 for contact printing.

Drew Wiley

Bergger is releasing a new large-sheet film for copy applications. I haven't studied it in detail, but the info is on their site. Some people use affordable lith film, but that's a somewhat unpredictable pain it the butt.

Drew Wiley

Hi, Tin Can. My father once made an entire greenhouse out of free old glass X-Ray plates. People didn't like going in there. But I do love that bulb shot of yours - a lot going on visually, plenty of Gestalt too.