Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilt/shift etc when doing wet plates

Between here and there

Tilt/shift etc when doing wet plates

Just curious,

do you wetplaters use a lot of movements? I've only done a workshop once, seen other people in action a few times and all of these occasions were portrait sessions. Given the "speed" and the specifics of the emulsion, f:64 with a bunch of movements is probably less common, I guess.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Re: Tilt/shift etc when doing wet plates

I don’t think you’re often going to find people shooting collodion at f64, with or without camera movements! The collodion isn’t just too slow for that unless you are working in blazing midday sun.
    But it’s not uncommon to use some camera movements at large apertures (many people use their lenses wide open) to introduce out of focus areas intentionally. It’s far less common to use movements to correct perspective or increase depth of field when working on wet plate. But if lighting is good enough, I suppose you could do it if you wanted.
    The bottom line is: you can’t introduce variables that will make your exposures longer than a couple of minutes at most, or the plate dries out.

Foamer

I rarely stop down past f22. I don't use tilt as that's not original to the era. I do use front rise because I photo a lot of buildings. The image circle on the 19th C lenses i use generally isn't very big.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I use both large and small apertures, from f/3.5-ish to f/32-ish, and often use movements. As a rule, the more open the lens, the more important it is to have movements to push that shallow depth of field around.

Kent is right that most movements weren't around in the early wet plate era (1850's), but were coming in towards the end, (early 1880's). It's up to the individual whether that's important to them. But if you're using a wide-open Petzval, you'll find the curved field makes the movements behave a bit differently.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I bet most LF users don't really use "a lot of movements". Some at times but seldom a lot of them and even less - extremes.

The images of the camera tied in a knot is interesting but few would ever use it that way - the prints come out all knotted up.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Between here and there

Thanks for your comments. Normally I don't use much movements either, but I see the point of moving what little depth of field one might have with a wide or near wide open lens around. The field curvature might get interesting to get to know when I get down to buying a petzval.

I promise to stay away from knotted prints - the only that gets to be that way are the ones going in the (large) waste basket.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Normally I don't use much movements either, but I see the point of moving what little depth of field one might have with a wide or near wide open lens around. The field curvature might get interesting to get to know when I get down to buying a petzval.

I promise to stay away from knotted prints - the only that gets to be that way are the ones going in the (large) waste basket.
    Tilts don’t change depth of field. Only the lens aperture changes the depth of field.

Tilts change the plane of sharp focus. The two work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    In my experience, working with a Petzval lens requires a rather different approach to constructing a photograph. The unique curved focal plane is its own animal and doesn't respond in quite the same way as a "normal" lens when it comes to shifts and tilts. The Petzval optic has a very strong visual style that doesn't lend itself to further manipulation - in my opinion, anyway. Most practitioners working with a Petzval lens are using a lens designed for a smaller format than what its being applied to, and so there's is often ZERO image circle left to play with (for movements), as the lens is already working beyond its intended limits. But you will discover these things yourself, when you acquire a nice Petzval lens. They are a joy to work with. Be sure you get a "proper" Petzval and not just a Magic Lantern lens. A Petzval intended for use as a photographic lens is generally better crafted than a Magic Lantern lens. I have a couple of the latter, and they make for very soft images.

I don’t understand the automatic assumption that wet plate is synonymous with petzval use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I don’t understand the automatic assumption that wet plate is synonymous with petzval use.
    Its not. Don't confuse my enthusiasm for Petzval lenses with some kind of insistence that they're the ONLY lenses for wet plate work. That wasn't the message I wanted to convey. But the combination is a great match. I will happily choose my 12" Ektar for making a wet plate negative almost as often as I choose a Petzval. By no means would I suggest that a Petzval is the only way to go.