Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Binocular Magnifier

Andrew "The RedSun"

Sinar Binocular Magnifier

Just wonder if anyone uses this item. It has 2x magnifier. Ok, but not as good as the 8x or 10x loupe. It can be used with either bellow or bag bellow. Sinar also makes the reflex magnifier. But it is much larger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	199809

Re: Sinar Binocular Magnifier

I had the reflex magnifier with my F1. I used it maybe twice. Took up too much space in the bag and didn't provide enough magnification for critical focus. This one looks like it takes up much less space but still not enough magnification for my tastes.

If you watch the focus come-in and go-out, you can get very accurate focus with one of these.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I just bought e Chamonix 45H-1 and was thinking of the reflex viewer. It comes with 3x power. The manufacturer says it's good in good lighting. I like the idea of straight-up reflex viewing with no black cloth. What do you fellows think? http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac...es/viewfinders

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just bought e Chamonix 45H-1 and was thinking of the reflex viewer. It comes with 3x power. The manufacturer says it's good in good lighting. I like the idea of straight-up reflex viewing with no black cloth. What do you fellows think? http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac...es/viewfinders
    Straight up will be your position. But you would be looking into a front surface mirror so the subject is reversed with the viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    In my opinion it's just one more thing you need to carry with you and negates one of the biggest positives of the Chamonix cameras (at least for me): that they are extremely lightweight and compact. It will also limit your compositions in that you must be able to put yourself in a comfortable position to look into the reflex finder which may not always allow you to put the camera exactly where you want it. I also imagine that it will be difficult to use with wide-angle lenses as you won't be able to easily move your point of view around to be able to see the corners and far edges of the image on the ground glass.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.goddard View Post
    In my opinion it's just one more thing you need to carry with you and negates one of the biggest positives of the Chamonix cameras (at least for me): that they are extremely lightweight and compact. It will also limit your compositions in that you must be able to put yourself in a comfortable position to look into the reflex finder which may not always allow you to put the camera exactly where you want it. I also imagine that it will be difficult to use with wide-angle lenses as you won't be able to easily move your point of view around to be able to see the corners and far edges of the image on the ground glass.
    Reflex viewers should always be used with a fresnel so you can see the corners and edges.

Ok. What you show, a bino board, attaches to a Sinar or Horseman bag bellows. You then need the light drop hood, I hope I'm remembering that correctly. With the bag bellows, it's no problem changing the angle of your head to see the corners. But the bag bellows has to attache to your camera. With a Sinar or Horseman that's no problem. With a Chamonix? Just use a thick, dark t-shirt or sweatshirt at first until you get some experience. Then you can make an informed choice. With 4x5, the view through a reflex finder (not what you show), is really nice, but it's a bulky and delicate device to carry around. I have ones for my Sinars and my Toyo, but I've never used the Toyo one in the field. I have used the Sinar, but only when I'm not going very far.

For me, the importance goes: dark cloth (t-shirt) to block extraneous light. Put the neck over the camera back, as that really cuts down on light. Many backcloths, especially just a square of cloth, allow a lot of light to leak in. If your black t-shirt isn't dark enough, then use two. Next, get a good ground glass/Fresnel. My favorite are Bill Maxwell's, but they're pricey. They do really help. Next, use bright and not too wide lenses. Finally, don't shoot wide angle in available darkness, especially old ones with small maximum apertures. Then you have to break out a bright laser to focus on the dots. That's a pain.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

The Chamonix 45H-1 has a fresnel lens on top of the GG.

Here's the link to the Chamonix reflex and regular viewfinders that are available for 4x5. What do you think of these?
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac...es/viewfinders

Naw.