Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    326

    Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    Hi, I am getting ready to replace my old viewing lights that I have in my darkroom that I use to view the prints while making them. I know there are a lot of different opinions about light temperature, wattage, distance from the prints, etc.

    I would like to know what you use to view your prints and any tips or advise that you think might be helpful.

    I am looking forward to the responses because I always learn something new that I would have never thought of myself.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    While you are printing them or to examine after they are still wet?

    While printing a sodium vapor, afterwards a light that approximates the lighting they will be viewed at. But remember they will darken down after processing.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    326

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    Hi Bob, why sodium vapor while printing? I want to make sure I understand why.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    While you are printing them or to examine after they are still wet?

    While printing a sodium vapor, afterwards a light that approximates the lighting they will be viewed at. But remember they will darken down after processing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi Bob, why sodium vapor while printing? I want to make sure I understand why.
    It is variable in output and, if you wanted to, you can read all labels or a newspaper without fogging.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    326

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    How about a sodium vapor lightbulb like this? https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-03610...dp/B0036Z033A/


    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It is variable in output and, if you wanted to, you can read all labels or a newspaper without fogging.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    How about a sodium vapor lightbulb like this? https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-03610...dp/B0036Z033A/
    You want a used Thomas or a Kaiser/Osram. But new tubes are difficult, if not impossible to find with the second as Osram discontinued them many years ago.

  7. #7
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,511

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    I have always used quartz halogen lamps over the washing bath and bleaching area but I see led technology has improved offer similar color temp. I actually have a bunch of MR16 LEDs in front of me now, but I have not tried them yet.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    326

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    I was hopeful that LED lights would make it into the mix. What color temp are your lights?


    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have always used quartz halogen lamps over the washing bath and bleaching area but I see led technology has improved offer similar color temp. I actually have a bunch of MR16 LEDs in front of me now, but I have not tried them yet.

  9. #9
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    I process the prints under red LED safelight. Once a print comes out of the fix, it goes up on a glass plate set at an angle in the sink. I then have a pull chain to turn on a regular 15 watt bulb. The bulb should be dim, as your eyes are dilated, and it also helps account for dry down. I rinse the print with running water quickly, and then it's into the trash or the Versalab. (All of this is for fiber-based prints.) I hold the prints in the washer until toning time, tone, final rinse, dry....
    Please stop feeding the trolls.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    326

    Re: Viewing Lights in the Darkroom?

    Thanks Peter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I process the prints under red LED safelight. Once a print comes out of the fix, it goes up on a glass plate set at an angle in the sink. I then have a pull chain to turn on a regular 15 watt bulb. The bulb should be dim, as your eyes are dilated, and it also helps account for dry down. I rinse the print with running water quickly, and then it's into the trash or the Versalab. (All of this is for fiber-based prints.) I hold the prints in the washer until toning time, tone, final rinse, dry....

Similar Threads

  1. Viewing wet prints in the darkroom
    By Greg in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-May-2018, 21:14
  2. Viewing Lights ... seeking bulb
    By paulr in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2014, 12:15
  3. EV Illumination for Viewing in darkroom
    By brian steinberger in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-May-2006, 15:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •