Thread: Is this scan OK from Labo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this scan OK from Labo

Hi all,
    I got back a scan form a labo that used a X1 Flextight Imacon now I have some questions about the quality.
    For me it seems that there is a lot of 'digital noise' in the scan is this the normal behaviour of this scanner or has the labo used to much sharpening ?
    I have attached 2 screenshots, one at 100% and one at 200%. The file size is 9.185 X7.387pixels and 300 dpi.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100.jpg   200.jpg  

Re: Is this scan OK from Labo

No. It does not look oversharpened. It looks like they tried to open up the shadows beyond what the scanner was capable of scanning, and often, depending on the film, opening up the shadows reveals more and larger film grain. You don't say what kind of film this was or what resolution (ppi) the original scan was made at. Find someone with an actual drum scanner who knows how to use it, make a new scan and see what the difference is.

Do you know what the aperture setting was if it can be set on the Flextite? Iso of film and how developed. Was this slide or neg? I have taken poor images (expsoure wrong and then not doing the best at developing) that have scanned like this with my Epson. How does the film look under a loupe on the light table?

There is no aperture setting on Imacon/Hasselblad/Flextight scanners. It's a CCD scanner with a fixed aperture lens, not a PMT scanner with a multi-aperture disc behind the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    There is no aperture setting on Imacon/Hasselblad/Flextight scanners. It's a CCD scanner with a fixed aperture lens, not a PMT scanner with a multi-aperture disc behind the lens.
    Okay. Didn't know that.

But since it uses a very broad light source compared to a drum scanner that tends to minimize the emphasis on grain in color negs that occurs in real drum scanners, requiring using a more suitable aperture for those scans.