Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape for replacing film holder hinge flaps?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Black Masking Tape

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Definitely book binders tape although it does not have to be black as the tape does not accomplish the blackout.
    It won't prevent light leaks in the holder itself, but it helps keep light from creeping in through any space between the seated film holder and the back.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

Re: Black Masking Tape

Mido used a very thin flexible black plastic strip, probably vinyl, which seems glued on with something like Barge Cement. I only use this type of holder intermittently, so don't know the long-term reliability under routine usage, but so far after thirty or so years, no problems.
    There are types of thin, relatively hard folding black weatherstripping, with the crease already in place, which can be cut down in width (Rototrim or knife and straightedge), as well as by length of sections. I've used it in various photo-related equip projects.

Re: Tape for replacing film holder hinge flaps?

I don't like using gaffer tape because it is very thick, it gets very messy if it wears or dries out, it can damage things it is applied to, and a real PIA to remove when old as it leaves a very stubborn residue nearly impossible to totally clean off...

At least the artist's tape can be carefully removed if needed to, and it can dry up, but will tend to just start falling off...

I use it on bellows, and is still good on Linhof bellows that I applied 35 years ago (but I should finally replace those bellows soon, long overdue!!!), so also consider what might happen to different types of tapes as time goes on...

But for film holder end flaps, I have contact cemented bookbinding type tape on... Those ends do get a bit of wear in use, but tapes don't last so good...

Steve K

I'm definitely in the book binders tape camp, personal experience repairing film holder hinges as well as bellows repair.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

What do the film holder manufacturer's use?

Bookbinding tape is great; it's flexible and permanent. Really, any tape that is thin, flexible and won't break or degrade with time will do the job.

Contrary to what many believe, the tape does not have to be light-proof. When the bottom flap on the filmholder is closed, it is baffled and light-tight. The tape is only a hinge.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post

Contrary to what many believe, the tape does not have to be light-proof. When the bottom flap on the filmholder is closed, it is baffled and light-tight. The tape is only a hinge.

Best,

Doremus
    That was also my belief, I sold a 8x10" holder to a man in need and got a claim a few months later due to light leak through the tape in the wooden holder. It might be the holder had a special construction.

His pictures: www.olebrodersen.com

Book binder tape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	199879

Apply the book binder tape to release paper, cut to size using the old tape from the film holder before apply the new tape to the film holder flap.

Bernice

If there is a light leak at the film holder flap, the film holder has a problem. The flap is constructed with baffling to stop light. They DO wear and can result in light leaks.
    This applies to both plastic modern holders and wood holders which tend to be older and likely have been used more than good condition plastic holder.

The most common source of film holder wear and light leaks is the flap and how film holders are put into the camera. The most common being lifting up the spring loaded ground glass holder then sliding the film holder into image recording position. The friction and abrasiveness of the parts involved tend to slowly grind down that edge of the film holder eventually wearing out the film holder. Some cameras have ground glass lifters which allows sliding in the film holder without the slow grind. This is preferred to sliding or "slamming" the film holder into the image recording position.

Another camera feature consideration.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    That was also my belief, I sold a 8x10" holder to a man in need and got a claim a few months later due to light leak through the tape in the wooden holder. It might be the holder had a special construction.

His pictures: www.olebrodersen.com

How do new wood holders compare to other types overall?