Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Flash Sync

Question Graflex Pacemaker Speed Flash Sync

Hi I just bought a Graflex pacemaker speedgraphic. Since it has a shutter I would like to know if it can sync with a modern flash? or does it only work with the bulb flash that came with it?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Best

Vincent

Re: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Flash Sync

If the lens has a shutter, you can probably select X sync and use the pins on that for flash trigger. The body's focal plane shutter isn't suitable for electronics flash but with a good 400 speed film like tmax 400, you can do 1/10 with some hot lights no problem.

If the lens is in a shutter that has "X" flash sync capability, it can be used with a modern electronic flash. Many older shutters used a bi-post sync terminal for flash, which may be hard to find. If you are thinking about using the rear focal-plane shutter for flash sync, you can only use "FP" flash bulbs, which have a long duration and are also hard to find. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    If the lens is in a shutter that has "X" flash sync capability, it can be used with a modern electronic flash. Many older shutters used a bi-post sync terminal for flash, which may be hard to find. If you are thinking about using the rear focal-plane shutter for flash sync, you can only use "FP" flash bulbs, which have a long duration and are also hard to find. Hope this helps!
    If your flash accepts a household plug then an electrical cheater cord or shaver cord fits the biopost connector.

Tin Can

You can see for yourself.

Point the camera and flash at a wall. Fire the camera’s shutter at different speeds with the lens wide open. Look at the gg as you fire it. If you see the entire gg area illuminated by the flash then that is the speed that will synch with your flash. If you see that the entire gg is not evenly illuminated by the flash then you can’t use that speed with electronic flash.

No the lens has no shutter. I would be the back curtain shutter I'm planning to use. I'm finding conflicting information on grflex.org (also their boards don't work so I cant ask the question there).

I don't quite understand the difference between bulb versus strobe synchronization. What I'm googling seems to suggest that it will sync with bulb but not strobe. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You can see for yourself.

Point the camera and flash at a wall. Fire the camera’s shutter at different speeds with the lens wide open. Look at the gg as you fire it. If you see the entire gg area illuminated by the flash then that is the speed that will synch with your flash. If you see that the entire gg is not evenly illuminated by the flash then you can’t use that speed with electronic flash.
    OK I guess it has to be tried … thanks

The rear curtain may have sliding contacts for long duration flash bulbs and only at some speeds
    Tin Can

This guy has a lot of very good info

I have 2 orders in from him

https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/
    Tin Can