Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to identify the film holder type for a unbranded large format camera

Re: How to identify the film holder type for a unbranded large format camera

Danmark is, like most other countries, completely devoid of an active large format and film based active community. There are onLy two or three active here - although Emil from Jutland is a real pillar of strength!

You will note that there are quite a few 13x18cm cameras listed - often missing their plate/film holders. So this puts a premium on loose holder auctions. The important measure is the width of these. It is easier to remove a mm of mahogany/walnut from the sides of holders rather than add a few very thin strips. Length is not usually problem although it may influence the holder locking system (central in your camera). Remember that hardwood dust is extremely carcinogenic!

Re: How to identify the film holder type for a unbranded large format camera

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Danmark is, like most other countries, completely devoid of an active large format and film based active community. There are onLy two or three active here - although Emil from Jutland is a real pillar of strength!

You will note that there are quite a few 13x18cm cameras listed - often missing their plate/film holders. So this puts a premium on loose holder auctions. The important measure is the width of these. It is easier to remove a mm of mahogany/walnut from the sides of holders rather than add a few very thin strips. Length is not usually problem although it may influence the holder locking system (central in your camera). Remember that hardwood dust is extremely carcinogenic!

( Sorry about the late reply. I hadn't realized that there was a second page. )

I've seen a good selection of wooden film holder, which includes measurements on the photos.
    I'll try with a couple of those to get me startet.
    They are listed at the german ebay for about 30 to 40 euro. ( not including shipping. )

I'll keep in mind to get some holders that a bit to large, rather than to small.
    I'll also keep away from the metal ones. I guess they'll be even harder to fit. :-)

The thing I'm most nervous about, is getting the same distance to the film, as there is to the ground glass.
    I don't suspect that there is room for much error before it starts to blur?

To bad about the lack of community, both in Denmark and other places. It's usually easier to learn something when you're face to face with people.
    The forum will have to do for now. And I'll keep and eye out for Emil. :-)