Thread: Checking dev time for Tmax 400 / TMY2 in PMK

Checking dev time for Tmax 400 / TMY2 in PMK

Hi all,

Just checking what times and temps others have standardised on for T-Max 400 / TMY2 souped in PMK.

I ask because I’ve stupidly misplaced my darkroom notebook and can’t for the life of me remember what I used last time... I have a suspicion the Photographers Formulary times that come with their liquid PMK kit are for the old version of the film, but maybe I’m wrong?

I am processing 8x10” sheets in a Jobo expert drum on my CPP3 at 21 degrees with low RPMs.

Thanks!

T

Re: Checking dev time for Tmax 400 / TMY2 in PMK

Tim,

I don't know if it helps, but my N time for TMY in PMK for 4x5 film developed by hand in trays, shuffling through the stack once every 30 seconds is 15 minutes. For constant rotary processing it will likely be less. Maybe Bob Carnie will chime in here with his time(s). He uses Jobos IIRC.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

I use 14min for N @ 20C, shuffled every 30 sec for trays, but no longer use drums due to excessive oxidation (PMK is not the best choice of pyro for drum usage, though I believe Bob C. does it that way).

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I seem to remember using 14 mins at 21 degrees C. Seems to be about right considering the constant agitation – when tray processing I pretty much used constant agitation technique, although less vigorous.

Drew Wiley

Sadly, all my old notes about PMK drum times apply to the original TMax 400 and not the current TMY-2, and there is some difference even tray-wise. But I used a rotary processor capable of significantly lower RPM's than a Jobo, so less turbulence risk.

Thanks again, Drew. I use the PMK in the Jobo with Berger’s Roto Additive - which is likely just EDTA - and have never had issues. I also split development into two parts, so two 1L baths mixed 1:1:2:100. Great results so far... touch wood. I’m a novice with TMY2 though, although it’s by far my favourite film. Just expensive compared to HP5+ which I also like.