Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst CLS 1840 Color Enlarger Rewire Question

Durst CLS 1840 Color Enlarger Rewire Question

In a previous thread I mentioned that I recently acquired a Durst CLS 1840 enlarger that was modified by Durst USA to use a 220V 2,000 watt power unit and uses a 2,000 watt halogen bulb. Because of the fact that I do not feel that the work I want to accomplish with this enlarger does not need such enormous power / illumination and secondly because 2,000 watt halogen bulbs appears as scarce as hens teeth I want to explore the possibility of seeing what it would take to modify this enlarger to take 120V 1,000 watt halogen bulbs (which appears to be more available) and see who I would be able to engage to assist me with this endeavor considering that Durst USA is no longer in business? In the current configuration I can use use density filters and if the heat gets too intense (which is why I suspect the unit came with an auxiliary vacuum to suck hot air away from the head) I can spread out my use accordingly. But if the bulb goes dead it takes the unit down with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Durst CLS 1840 Color Enlarger Rewire Question

I would run the fan continuously after the rewire. Not sure how to handle the pre-heat/shutter perhaps IC can chime in. Check with the folks who fix old radios they can possibly put you in touch with the right people.

Photographer

Have you gotten it to light up yet? If not, I’d get it working before deciding to undertake some expensive modifications. The 2000W bulb may work fine and last a long time.
    Keith Pitman

If you can find an EST1000 and 1000W lamp, you could convert your head back to the original state.

Another option is to find an EST2000 (not the EST2000-N). That older model switches between 220V and 170V (2000W and 1000W), and you can lower the voltage, perhaps down to 120V, though I'd be a little scared to put the 120V 1000W lamp in it even with the 1000W button engaged.

Durst Pro USA also made the EST 1500 which one could reverse engineer and make one themselves (it is a switching power supply, does not look that complicated compared to the original)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_233447 3K.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	199680
    Last edited by ic-racer; 26-Jan-2020 at 06:00.

I would avoid the heat and the fan and put in dimmable LEDs. They can be dimmed in at least 3 ways, variable voltage, limiting the current (but if one LED break, the others will get more and by cutting the power, you see the flickering on budget lamps. I was planning to use my 110-240VAC/20A 8-15V power supply/batter charger on LED strips, but ended on a simple 9x11" light table. Horizontal enlarger still not finished.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

Oslolens - what you're describing is like replacing a Ferarri with a skateboard. These Durst head were very powerful and sophisticated devices. They can be tamed for more ordinary usage without giving up those features which made them so expensive to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Oslolens - what you're describing is like replacing a Ferarri with a skateboard. These Durst head were very powerful and sophisticated devices. They can be tamed for more ordinary usage without giving up those features which made them so expensive to begin with.
    More like T-ford with a Tesla Truck They will both carry 2 pigs and a barrel, but Tesla has air conditioning. It's my belief you don't need the halogen unless doing colour. Heiland makes them, but at a steep price €4022,-

Michael, pls post and let us know what you decide to do. L

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I would avoid the heat and the fan and put in dimmable LEDs. They can be dimmed in at least 3 ways, variable voltage, limiting the current (but if one LED break, the others will get more and by cutting the power, you see the flickering on budget lamps. I was planning to use my 110-240VAC/20A 8-15V power supply/batter charger on LED strips, but ended on a simple 9x11" light table. Horizontal enlarger still not finished.

Can you show this Dimmable 220V LED replacement for the CLS2000? I don't know it and does not appear Drew knows it either.

I know the following:
    1) Original lamp (Colamp2000/Thorn HX27). These are available on the internet; I posted a link to one.
    2) Reverse engineered lamp. This may be available from Russia. I'm testing one now (see e-mail correspondence on the lamp below)
    3) Other replacement lamps, like the available $80 2000W 220V FTL (PICTURED BELOW) have a globe a little too big to fit through the CLS2000 reflector opening though the base will plug into the existing socket. If I ever run out of options, since I have a number of reflectors, I'd take an older reflector and grind the opening bigger. Only a few millimeters of glass would need to be removed to allow the FTL lamp to be used.
    4) Another option for the FTL is to remove the lamp from the base ("new base" on existing lamp is how the Russian DIY Colamp2000 is created) and re-attach it after fitting it through the reflector.

Name:	ftl.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	199993

Name:	Old and New durst Reflectors 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	199992

Thank you!
    Did you use my DIY colamp2000?

I wish to order new run on factory and miss statistics days. They told me use in in my 2506 but better not to use in vertical.

I had statistics with horizontal machines and it work fine.

Need more data with vertical. Till now one burned and one running one month.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 26-Jan-2020 at 07:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Michael, pls post and let us know what you decide to do. L
    I certainly will Luis. Contacting the electrician that helped me install the special plug receptacle. Since it was a while ago I want to make sure he made it a 220V connection. I am not about to just plug it in without verifying all is OK. Last thing I need is the smell of blue smoke.