Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Drew Wiley

Re: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Plus if you get stuck out in the cold at night, you can build a fire with a wooden tripod, but not with a carbon or metal one, then boil your leather bellows for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Plus if you get stuck out in the cold at night, you can build a fire with a wooden tripod, but not with a carbon or metal one, then boil your leather bellows for dinner.
    Nah -- just keep those Ries legs points sharp, then hunt for small game up to caribou! The ones on my Ries would cause a mountain lion to die of laughter.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I tried that once. But mosquitoes got more calories out of me trying than I got out of the speared gopher.

On a similar note, (also for 8x10) I'm thinking of picking up a lighter weight tripod, for the rare occasion I see something more than 20 yards from the van. I recently was watching a video on Adam Davies and noted he was using what appeared to me to be a Bogen / Manfroto 3021, or something similar. I realize of course it likely would not have the stability of a mondo Gitzo, my tripod of choice (mostly because I own one), but I'm guessing it would come with a savings of significant weight. I think my Gitzo weighs in at about a ton. Thopughts from you experts?

FWIW, here's the video link to the About Adam Davies, whose work I admire a lot:
    https://www.adamdavies.net/about

I really don't like 3021s. It's true that they've gotten better since I bought one in 1992, but there are so many better choices, including all sorts of carbon fiber models, which are terrific if low weight is a priority.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I really don't like 3021s. It's true that they've gotten better since I bought one in 1992, but there are so many better choices, including all sorts of carbon fiber models, which are terrific if low weight is a priority.
    However carbon fiber = $$$$. And I'm a cheapskate.

They don't have to be. My main ones are 20 year old Gitzos, an they work fine. One, I bought new, a 1227, and it's my travel pod. The other I bought a used 1325 for under $200 recently. Used ones can be a great way to save some money.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Just looking at the B&H site, there aren't a lot of legs for big cameras anymore outside of video. It's kind of wild. I remember in 2005 or so buying some really heavy but rock solid Manfrotto legs. They had this 'quick release' leg system that allowed you to extend all 3 at once. Nice idea but of course mine broke at some point. The pan/tilt heads were really great, super heavy duty. And at that time I got a huge hex plate for my Deardorff with set screws, that thing did NOT move.

All gone from the looks of it. There are some exotic Gitzos, RRS, and the woody options. Not a great time for me to be spendign after my LED splurge hah. Luckily my camera is an ultralight so my legs are still heavier than my camera, even with the 360/6.8.

Manfrotto still makes big tripods, B&H has them in the pro video section.

I have a 3021, it's perfectly serviceable, but it isn't super light. The leg set is almost 6 pounds. Weigh your mondo tripod to see how much you might save. Big old aluminum tripods and pan heads are not particularly fashionable, so if you are patient and can wait for a used one to turn up, you can get bargains (I mean bargain in the sense of use-value per $).

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Manfrotto still makes big tripods, B&H has them in the pro video section.

I have a 3021, it's perfectly serviceable, but it isn't super light. The leg set is almost 6 pounds. Weigh your mondo tripod to see how much you might save. Big old aluminum tripods and pan heads are not particularly fashionable, so if you are patient and can wait for a used one to turn up, you can get bargains (I mean bargain in the sense of use-value per $).
    My mondo Gitzo weighs almost 11 lbs, just the legs. My medium Gitzo (1315 I think) is almost 8lbs. Yes, used Bogens on ebay are around 75 bucks. I love that big ass Gitzo. My back however does not.