Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Re: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I figure it's not as heavy as those guys who go to the Antartica with movie gear in -200 degree weather filming cute penguins for us to watch on the BBC channel. Those guys tripods are insane.
    I’ve done that very thing. Those tripods aren’t as heavy as you think. I’d estimate 40lbs for the standard sticks and slightly less for the short sticks. The heads are somewhere in the 30lb range for fluid heads, maybe 40lbs for a geared head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...If you want a bargain, get a domestic-made (not import) CST fiberglass-clad survey tripod....
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...An appropriate 3/8 turnknob with phenolic handle will cost about seven bucks or so, more if you want stainless from McMaster (recommended)....
    Well this looks much better than the eyebolt I recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I’ve done that very thing. Those tripods aren’t as heavy as you think. I’d estimate 40lbs for the standard sticks and slightly less for the short sticks. The heads are somewhere in the 30lb range for fluid heads, maybe 40lbs for a geared head.
    You are da man!!!! Yah, it's not too heavy for you. But us normal people take our tripods on nice sunny days or kinda cold weather, not to the end of the world, cold, with 25 layers of clothes, sitting there like watching the Green BAy Packers lose a game on a cold metal chair. Amazing work those guys do and all so we can YouTube and say "awww, look a penguin in a snowstorm". It's' all relative I guess. I wouldn't mind getting another Bogen 3050/3051 if it was super cheap. Kinda makes you look cool swinging something around looking like Corporal Hicks with a giant machine gun.
    --

8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    You are da man!!!! Yah, it's not too heavy for you. But us normal people take our tripods on nice sunny days or kinda cold weather, not to the end of the world, cold, with 25 layers of clothes, sitting there like watching the Green BAy Packers lose a game on a cold metal chair. Amazing work those guys do and all so we can YouTube and say "awww, look a penguin in a snowstorm". It's' all relative I guess. I wouldn't mind getting another Bogen 3050/3051 if it was super cheap. Kinda makes you look cool swinging something around looking like Corporal Hicks with a giant machine gun.
    We also had a couple people and a wheeled cart or a sled per camera+support so it’s a lot different than somebody doing a one man band thing for fun in spare time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Has any one adapted a set of used Surveyor's legs for photography? They are rugged, strong and often somewhat less than a photo-dedicated rtripod.

Defiantly a DIY project.
    Yes, this exactly what I use. I have a Cambo 8X10, which is not light. I bought a dewalt surveyors transit for just over a 100. Made a base plate adaptor (nothing fancy, ply wood with threaded inserts.) and it if really solid if not heavy.
    Kevin Taylor
    Bonehead amateur

Drew Wiley

With wooden tripods it's easy to attach supplementary cleats or use the adjustment knobs themselves to hang things from. But with my larger CF tripod which twist-locks the legs, I installed a 3/8-16 stainless hook below the platform instead of a turn knob. That way I can hang a meter, loupe, mesh bag, etc.

You know that saying, buy your last tripod first? Get a Ries. If you are patient they come up used on eBay. I got good deals on both of mine.

I've seen old Majestics go cheap. I've never used one myself. They are metal so cold to the touch in winter. Berlebachs are reasonable on the used market and made of wood like the Ries. I had one once and it was really nice. I prefer Ries though. I love the leg locks.

The used market is the way to go if you want inexpensive. You gotta be patient though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I've seen old Majestics go cheap. I've never used one myself. They are metal so cold to the touch in winter.
    When I was a student at RIT in Rochester NY, the winter's were on the longish side. Majestics never left the Cage (equipment loan room) in the wintertime just for that reason. Don't be afraid of acquiring a used older Ries... They may not look as good as a newer Ries, but they simply work whatever the weather is.

Same with the old Gitzos in the winter...I'd walk around with the legs already extended so I'd not have to mess with them so much. But gloves with removable finger sections work well. Covering a leg or two in thin rubber insulation (wetsuit stuff) is another option with metal pods. I have a Ries A100 for 8x10 and 11x14 -- the Gitzos are fine for my smaller formats, but as Alan mentioned, wood for the 8x10 and 11x14 is sweet. The Ries has twenty-five years of rough riding and still going strong...well, needs some small screws, wood needs refinishing badly, I damaged the head (A250) a decade or so ago, but I sort of bent it back into working condition. But the 11x14 is steady as a rock up there (if I remember to tighten everything down.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Second that on using Gitzos in the winter (per Vaughn's post). Once used a 1970s metal Gitzo placed in a deepish stream when the air temp was hovering around zero. Took the Gitzo out of the water and after putting my camera away tried to fold up the legs... no way they were going to be compressed. One or two years ago did somewhat the same thing with a Carbon Fiber Gitzo. The legs easily compressed with the CF Gitzo. But all in all much prefer a wooden Ries when the temp drops below zero.