Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked?

Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked?

Hello, I am wondering about some type of adequate protection for an 11x14 or 8x10 Canham during air travel.

Is there a model/brand of flight case that can do the job when in a travel situation of being required to check all stuff, or if they insist one check a heavy carry on? I doubt an 11x14 could be transported via air as a carry on anyways.

Could a Pelican or other case be used? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

Ship it ahead.

Pelican you could probably drop it from a helicopter into the ocean, drag it to shore, and run over it with a jeep

Get Canham's ground glass protector slide as well.

Re: Is there adequately protective flight case that can protect an ULF camera checked

If you can find one a Rimowa Tropicana can. So could custom cases from Anvil.

Recommend a soft padded case as if is a little oversize for a overhead or trunk, you might be able to squeeze it a little in... And there is usually some other space to slide something small in... And is easier to carry around on a shoulder strap...

I tend to travel with gear by using an old strong suitcase as an outer shell, then soft bag inside, and a couple of extra smaller empty bags inside, so that when I arrive, I can download the gear into smaller bags the gear I predict I will use that day or night... Or a smaller kit easy to carry on an early morning walk...

Steve K

Only once by air with an 8x10. I use a travel pack as a camera pack, so just a little more padding (clothes) kept the camera and lens safe as check-in baggage. Ries tripod in a big Bogen tripod bag checked in also. Holders and film as carry-on. Before 9/11 and before paying for baggage.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Interesting ideas. I actually have a Rimowa suitcase (too big though) I could adapt but it even seems like it could get damaged unless I had some sort of lightweight but protective inserts.

I bought one of these on sale last year. It's a monster with their improved wheels, tow handle, 2 side handles and foam

My Seneca 11X14 will fit, but have not yet fitted it, nothing else Pelican would work

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...e/storm/im2875

I was looking at them online with B&H and other sites. B&H made an offer I couldn't refuse. They track our shopping...

I won't fly with it, but it will be fine in my truck
    Tin Can

Got an (un)used Pelican 24" cube case with foam for my Deardorff 14x14. Too cheap to pass up--too unwieldy and heavy to carry by myself! https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...protector/0370

That Pelican looks very good and I imagine it could accommodate the 11x14 Canham. I'm ordering some new cameras/gear in 2020 and I am trying to put thought in adavnce into the practicalities of storing and caring for it while taking it traveling in real world situations. I had also thought to buy a few waterproof Pelican cases to store my binders of negatives without dust, moisture etc. In my present apartment there are sprinklers that will go off if there is a fire in the building and most of my stuff will get affected... it happened to my neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Interesting ideas. I actually have a Rimowa suitcase (too big though) I could adapt but it even seems like it could get damaged unless I had some sort of lightweight but protective inserts.
    Other then an aluminum skin the Tropicana is very different from their aluminum suitcases. The Tropicana is made from marine plywood with an aluminum outer skin. Then, on all 6 sides is a layer of closed cell insulting foam. Inside that is a molded tub. The tip has a raised rim that, when the case is closed, molds itself into a layer of urethane foam that makes a waterproof seal to the contents.
    The outside corners are reinforced with aluminum corners as are the corner edges. A fully loaded case will float plus the insulation will keep contents protected from temperature extremes.

But I don’t know if they still make the camera cases since Rimowa is now owned by LV.