Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Looking for recommendations for rather tall tripods for 8x10 work. I will likely be using the "if it's x from my car, it's not photogenic" rule, so weight is a secondary consideration to stability. Probably not looking to spend four figures here, so the ones made from materials only recoverable by passing comets every 1000 years may not work for me...

My camera is a Gibellini Bellatrix so it's basically an ultralight. And I may be adding a Chamonix 5x7 soon to the mix.

Re: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, but I'm thinking you can get a used, quality set of sticks for $400-$500--e.g. a 4-series Induro or wooden Ries. (FWIW, great deals seem to be rare these days, but B&H has struck me as occasionally offering Induro's at nice prices...though they're awfully proud of their Gitzo's, it seems.)

Otherwise, I'll look forward to seeing how far you can push the 5x7 format in terms of resolution, etc.--I'm just learning my Sinar Norma 5x7, but want a Chamonix 57N to throw in my pack if I fall in love with the format.

Eric Woodbury

At only two figures, there is the Paillard Bolex Tripod. You'll need to change the head, but these are very good tripods. At three figures, I like the Miller wooden tripods. Many different configurations here, so you'll need to study the variants. Presently, I use these for a Kodak 2D, but that is changing. I'm about to sell the Paillard and the 2D as I have other equipment coming 'online'. The Miller is probably taller and as it is wood, easy to deal with in colder climates.

How tall?

There are tripods up to 9 feet tall

Used is often a good deal, as many of us have more tripods than we use

I have found KEH good for this
    Tin Can

An old Majestic with the gear head would be perfect -- beefy, tough, heavy and awkward to carry. Several models. I picked one up at a yard sale for $25 -- I just needed to pound the shaft straight that's in the gearhead.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, but I'm thinking you can get a used, quality set of sticks for $400-$500--e.g. a 4-series Induro or wooden Ries. (FWIW, great deals seem to be rare these days, but B&H has struck me as occasionally offering Induro's at nice prices...though they're awfully proud of their Gitzo's, it seems.)

Otherwise, I'll look forward to seeing how far you can push the 5x7 format in terms of resolution, etc.--I'm just learning my Sinar Norma 5x7, but want a Chamonix 57N to throw in my pack if I fall in love with the format.
    I'm looking at that Chamonix 5x7N myself. It partly comes down to color film. Keith Canham is selling 50 sheet boxes of Kodak stocks, including my new favorite E100. The 10 sheet boxes of 8x10 are frustratingly expensive. Not that I won't shoot 8x10 in color, but probably with less regularity. Plus my 240/5.6 is a perfect 5x7 normal.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks folks! I was offered an old Manfrotto and I'm going to go with that. If my math is right it should get me at least 10' up there.

Has any one adapted a set of used Surveyor's legs for photography? They are rugged, strong and often somewhat less than a photo-dedicated rtripod.

Defiantly a DIY project.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I like the Miller wooden tripods. The Miller is probably taller and as it is wood, easy to deal with in colder climates.
    Wooden Miller tripods are excellent. They don't have the name recognition that Ries has so don't command nearly as high prices. My circa 1980s? wooden Miller handles my 8x10 Chamonix with ease. Usually you can find one up for auction for under $100.