Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archival Rating of The New Gen 5 Ilford RC Multigrade Deluxe Papers?

Archival Rating of The New Gen 5 Ilford RC Multigrade Deluxe Papers?

Does anyone know of an official statement from Ilford about the archival rating of a properly processed and selenium toned print using the new generation 5 Multigrade RC Deluxe papers?

If not, any other credible source that has published any findings?

I ask becuase I sell both RC and Fiber prints and educated buyers ask about the archival ratings of RC vs. Fiber. I find all of this interesting because I have an RC print that I made in 1975 of my grandparents that has hung on my wall in a simple frame and 45 years later, it still looks as good as the day I made it. None the less, I like to have credible information to pass along to buyers and I want to make sure I am accurate it my discussions.

Thanks

Re: Archival Rating of The New Gen 5 Ilford RC Multigrade Deluxe Papers?

There is no "archival rating", official or otherwise.

If you would like to understand what is known about the permanence of RC papers, read chapter 12 in Ctein's Post Exposure book. He has kindly posted the entire book for free download, available here:

http://ctein.com/booksmpl.htm

Thank you very much for this resource and link. I will review.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

If you would like to understand what is known about the permanence of RC papers, read chapter 12 in Ctein's Post Exposure book. He has kindly posted the entire book for free download, available here:

I just read chapter 12 and also chapter 10. This is very enlightening, to say the least.

It appears the best answer for achieving better permanence with RC paper is to do a light selenium tone and treat with the latest formula of Sistan as the very last step. (link provided below for the new Siatan) - https://www.freestylephoto.biz/65140...ng-Agent-500ml

It would be nice if the Image Permanence Institute or Wilhelm would do some testing on the above mentioned on the brand new generation 5 emulsion from Ilford's RC Multigrade Deluxe papers. For now, this seems to be the best solution we have when we want to print on RC paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

Aardenburg is a great resource, but I don't know if they've checked that paper.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks, Peter. Do you happen to know the link to Aardenburg?

I would like to understand this RC permanence issue better in the context of the new Ilford RC emulsion because I am finding the tonality of the paper to be more to my liking than the classic fiber paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Aardenburg is a great resource, but I don't know if they've checked that paper.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Aardenburg has been testing inkjet papers only.

EDIT: OK, that's wrong - some years back he ran a handful of samples of both Fuji Crystal Archive exposed in a Frontier 390, and Ilford Galerie Digital RC and FB silver papers exposed in a Durst Theta 51. More about this below.

Larry, keep in mind that we don't really know what to say about the permanence of current FB papers either. AFAIK there is no information available to the public about the characteristics of the paper base used by the remaining manufacturers of silver-gelatin paper. We cannot assume that it is the same as paper base from decades ago, to which people refer in arguing that FB papers have been shown to have great longevity. We do know that current FB papers are generally loaded with brighteners (RC papers too!), which will deteriorate over time. That won't affect the physical integrity of the base, but it will affect the appearance of the print, especially if your printing habits are tuned precisely to the perceived brilliance of the paper as it comes out of the box.

In my view it's not appropriate to make sweeping claims about very-long-term permanence of any silver prints. If one is selling prints, best to acknowledge the uncertainties and also include information about the role of storage and display conditions in maximizing the life of prints.

If one is determined to sell photographic works on paper that have the maximum possible permanence, the most robust medium is probably Pt/Pd prints made on rag-based papers.

I prefer silver prints myself, actually RC for most of my work. So I do the best I can, within reason - I selenium-tone all of my keepers and store them in acid-free boxes under reasonable environmental conditions. But I don't have a climate-controlled vault, and I'm under no illusion that I am making prints that are somehow guaranteed to last many tens or hundreds of years. I would never be comfortable claiming such.

FWIW, Aardenburg's accelerated light exposure tests of the handful of Galerie Digital silver paper samples, both RC and FB, show the brighteners "burning out" pretty quickly, RC faster than FB, while the silver image proper remains intact.

I won't replicate his copyrighted material here - you can register on the Aardenburg website to gain free access to the reports, but it would be courteous to also send a donation in whatever amount you're comfortable with to support his testing work.