Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Computer - Photoshop CS6 - install Silver Efex Pro2?

New Computer - Photoshop CS6 - install Silver Efex Pro2?

After battling with Adobe for hours over a few days finally got CS6 loaded and working. Even owning the disks it did not want to accept the program install - and once loaded the machine will not be hooking up to the internet at all. Images only.

Computer is an IBM type with damnable Windows 10 on it.

Can't get Silver Efex Pro to work and have a disk for it. Also the copy downloaded of Silver Efex Pro2 - but there is no way to get the registration number to enter that I can find.

Am taking files from the old Computer and putting them on the new one. Old hard drive is going - so has to be done.

Anyone familiar with how to get Silver Efex Pro2 going on the new machine?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: New Computer - Photoshop CS6 - install Silver Efex Pro2?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Anyone familiar with how to get Silver Efex Pro2 going on the new machine?
    Now that DxO owns all the Nik software, I’m not sure about old serial numbers vs “new” software. I’d reach out to them for help.

Nobody ever owned anything Adobe even if you bought CDs, except Adobe

We purchased a license to use it

I started with PS Version 4 1997 which was included with a long gone scanner

Then I upgraded with cash for many years, but never owned anything

Adobe also LOST many of my purchases and serial #s denying I had them legally...Digi rot!

Now I just pay the $10 a month and really like many recent improvements. I don't use nor LIKE! Lightroom

There were 8 'Versions' before CS then CC versions started, now about 21 total versions...so Adobe says in a heavily controlled Wikipedia
    Tin Can

Well, I have the disks so I "own" them. Adobe is so paranoid about "theft" they are going crazy. Most who believe anyone and everyone is stealing from them are thieves - and it shows.

NIK has a whole suite of software and it does not interest me. Silver Efex Pro2 is what I have been using for a number of years now and want it working on the newer computer. Just that program - not all the others they bundle with it.

Once installed and running OK the computer won't be going online at all. Images and 'digital darkroom' only.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The newer operating system may not support software written a lifetime ago in computer time.
    Did you check to see its compatibility for Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Nobody ever owned anything Adobe even if you bought CDs, except Adobe.
    DxO purchased the rights, intellectual property, or whatever you want to call it from NIK Software. They do, in fact, own it. I, as you say, only have a license to use it.

I was just checking my LR6 licensed where I have Silver Efex 2 and the whole NIK suite that I got a few years ago for free and it does still work. I'm running Windows 10. How would I check to see which SilverEfex version I have?

I still use the free version of the Nik plugins that Google was giving away for awhile. Works fine with Win10, and I use it both in Affinity Photo and DXO PhotoLab. I tried the demo of the new one and I see no difference between Silver Efex from the older free version and the newer paid version, apart from they added a couple more (useless) film "profiles."

If I were you, I'd throw away CS6 and just use Affinity, unless there's some unique tool there you absolutely have to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How would I check to see which SilverEfex version I have?
    I can only speak to the latest versions of PS and SilverEfex on Windows 10, but click on Help>About... and you'll see the version number. On Mac, I assume the same is under the SilverEfex menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I can only speak to the latest versions of PS and SilverEfex on Windows 10, but click on Help>About... and you'll see the version number. On Mac, I assume the same is under the SilverEfex menu.
    I clicked on Help and it went to a DxO page that doesn't exist anymore. Thanks anyway. Not that important.