Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medium-Format Digital Images

Medium-Format Digital Images

At the risk of inflaming anti-digital forces, and now that I’ve figured out how to host them conveniently for web display, let’s start a thread for the empty of wallet who have bought a medium format digital camera. This is for any digital camera with a sensor larger than 24x36, but smaller than nominal 4x5 (which would make it large format). Again, primarily images only, please, not extensive technical discussion.

I’ll start:

Sadie Cove, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska, 2018. Pentax 645z. Pentax DFA 55mm lens, f/8 at 1/160.

Rick “with quite a backlog” Denney
    Last edited by rdenney; 1-Feb-2020 at 15:28.

Re: Medium-Format Digital Images

ALPA Max + SK 47/5.6 + Hasselblad CFV-50c

Reaching back to earlier days of medium-format digital... I owned a Mamiya ZD briefly in late 2009 - early 2010. The camera spent most of that time traveling to and from Mamiya in Japan for servicing, but I did manage to take it out a few times for some tests. This was made with the Mamiya 55mm f/2.8 AF, which is just shy of normal for the 36x48mm sensor in that camera.

A long-exposure test photo taken last fall using my P1 P30+ / KG TrueWide / Leica R 28/f2.8 PC Super Angulon lens combo ... no shutter required!

Alas, while the P30+ is clearly showing its age -- the DR recorded by its 2007-era CCD sensor must be at least two stops less than the A7R that replaced it in early 2014 (and which I'm still using to this day, believe it or not) -- it still has a pleasing way of rendering when used in brighter light.

Fortunately, I bought mine used for a very attractive price back in 2010, but even so, I'll still take a low- to mid-four-figure hit when I finally sell it.

Time and tide -- er, technology -- wait for no man! <sigh>
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Eric Woodbury

JG, are you saying you're using 'vintage' digital equipment? "The times, they are a changin'. "

CCDs were the epitome of low-noise sensors from the beginning of digital imaging, and in many cases, still are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    JG, are you saying you're using 'vintage' digital equipment? "The times, they are a changin'. "
    Actually, I'm not using it, because for the type of photography I do -- long exposures in low light at base ISO -- my A7R-based setup (https://i.imgur.com/TO1GcUV.jpg if you're curious) produces much better results in pretty much every respect, not to mention larger files as well.

But I do still own most of my medium-format digital gear and, now that I think about it, in digital terms, I suppose even my A7R can be considered "vintage" these days.

So, yeah, I'm now using vintage digital gear for my photography and quite happily so!

CCDs were the epitome of low-noise sensors from the beginning of digital imaging, and in many cases, still are.
    True, but the low-noise CCD sensors you refer to are all actively cooled, whereas the one in my P30+ requires five minutes of cooling between photos during our hot summer months, which was quite a nuisance at times.

Plus, the P30+ lacks any sort of freestanding "live view" capability, which significantly limits its usefulness for my purposes.
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Camellias

Sinar Norma + Brass Petzval Lens + CFV-50c
    Last edited by darr; 18-Jan-2020 at 17:43.

Re: Camellias

Nicely done, Darr!
    JG

Re: Camellias

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Nicely done, Darr!
    Thank you JG!!

Medium-Format Digital Images

Driftwood, Sadie Cove, Alaska, 2018. Pentax 645z, 55mm DFA.

Rick “nature has a sense of humor” Denney