Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Likely Very Naive Question, sheet film then scan to produce a digital print.

Re: Likely Very Naive Question, sheet film then scan to produce a digital print.

I find a fully digital workflow sterile, even MF - I own a Fuji GFX 50s. There's no sensor larger than 645 available, so the distinct look of LF is lost.

A hybrid workflow has the best of both worlds: you get the natural look of film and the ease of total reproducibility. And wow, now you can print colour on baryta paper! Inkjet paper will probably last longer dan any colour RC paper, too.

Having said all that, in my eyes the tonality (or should I say depth) of a B/W silver gelatine baryta print is still superior. And I really love the smell of fix on my hands!

Re: Likely Very Naive Question, sheet film then scan to produce a digital print.

If for no other reason, for the sheer delight of using very old lenses as they were designed to be used - to throw a very large image. This is not reproducible using any digital system as yet. Having copied old transparencies and negatives I also find that they can have distinctly different qualities to them and these can benefit from digital printing. I don't see any reasons not to shoot film and digitise it. Its another choice which is great.

Just consider Sandy King's carbon transfer prints from digital negatives... Or consider Lenswork's prints from scans of prints...These are simply other ways of making beautiful prints. Maybe you want a big print, but you can't carry an ULF camera to the location, or maybe you can't get the shot you want with a larger camera, or you simply prefer the control available in digital post production, or you don't want the expense involved in ULF work, whether in time or money, or.....? Other people's reasons may not be good reasons for you, but clearly they are good enough for a fair number of people. The very same, "Why do that?" can be directed at LF photographers... "Our reasons are good!" can be exclaimed by anyone...
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Why paint when you can shoot a photograph? Why drive a stick when cars have automatic transmissions? Why listen to vinyl instead of digital music? Why read a book when you can watch the movie? Why do anything when you can rest and do nothing?

+100000000

Tin Can

Phases of artistry lead to the exploration of tools and media that allow us to express ourselves. Why did you not hand write a letter posing the question and have it hand delivered?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Art comes after work, when we have time for the sublime

When we are sated from the hunt, rested, we turn inward and outward

Why are sheep dogs rescuing Kaulas in the great fire...

Why do dolphins stay in the sea

we are all in a moment
    Tin Can

Film looks different and no amount of digital signal processing can emulate that, especially with regards to highlights.

There are also no readily-available digital systems with sensors of 4x5 inch size (or even close).

And, IMO, digital images are just boring for the most part.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    IMO, digital images are just boring for the most part.
    I could not agree more! Or maybe I'm BORED when working in digital. It leaves me feeling flat & uninvolved. JMHO.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 22-Jan-2020 at 07:11. Reason: add

But we all love sitting at a computer and talking about film...

I doubt 4X5 digital sensors ever go into mass production

analog sensors aka film works fine for us, but industry uses small digi sensors well for robotics, factories, surveillance...

and we love old glass, the rarer and bigger the better...

after the Fall, perhaps we come to a better place
    Tin Can