Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer hardware when editing large format files (100MP+)

Computer hardware when editing large format files (100MP+)

The computer I use is home built from a time that games where more a priority than photo editing.
    Back then I did some photo editing, but my camera was an Olympus 16MP micro four thirds camera.
    Now my software (Luminar 3) is crashing frequently. This happens mostly when removing dust or exporting.
    According to my tastmanager my RAM at those times is at 100% use.

My hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K
    MB chipset: Z170
    Video: GeForce GTX 1070
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB module) | DDR4 | 3,2GHz | CAS Latency 16 | True latency 10,0ns

Scanning:
    Black and white 4x5 on an Epson V800, 2400DPi, Tiff

What would be a good upgrade?
    I have room for 4x DDR4 RAM module

Does anyone else have chashing problems with big files and Luminar 3?

Re: Computer hardware when editing large format files (100MP+)

Try Photoshop and Lightroom with a 30 day free trail. If this doesn't work, then it may be your hardware, because it should be able to handle large files. If it does work, the problem could be with Luminar 3.

Your computer configuration sounds a lot like mine and I have no issues editing both 4x5 and 8x10 scans, in PS CC, done at 1800. With color, I try to use only adjustment layers (to minimize total file size), but with B&W I can do just about anything I want. I suspect your issue is Luminar.

The system is fine, the software may be the problem

I have similar box with 32 ram, GeForce, SSD main, Win 10 always updated asap

and use up to date CC PS with no problem on multiple large files

No idea what Luminar is...
    Tin Can

Thinks you can try: More swap space. Do you have SSD drive? Maybe you can uninstall your photo editing apps and install it on a faster SSD drive. And of course, more memory is always good. I think I've edited a large file like yours on my old i3 machine and it was pretty slow. I endured. Its not like I'm spending 6 hours in a darkroom, I can let it do its thing, get coffee, and finish up. But yeah, swap and faster drive. Just some thoughts.
    --

Yep not the hardware. I have basically the same system with an older CPU. No problems on Lightroom/Photoshop, and even do multi-camera video editing which is way more hardware-intensive.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

More RAM is always the first and best answer. Put the max in there you can and you'll see a huge difference. 64 gb should be the minimum you have in there for your purposes, then a larger, faster drive for scratch disk. You could also be having, on top of not enough ram, applications that may not be written well in terms of memory use and allocation.

I'm going to try out the 30 day trial. (The cheapest option). Also becouse it's a hobby and I finance it by fabricating lenses. So it's not an endless money pit.
    After that 30 days there are two options: subscribe PS or extend RAM.
    As a hobby photographer I don't like a membership to PS, that is why I use Luminar. But the next 30 days may convince me.

Tell us about the lenses, in a different thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xifoideus View Post
    I'm going to try out the 30 day trial. (The cheapest option). Also becouse it's a hobby and I finance it by fabricating lenses. So it's not an endless money pit.
    As a hobby photographer I don't like a membership to PS, that is why I use Luminar. But the next 30 days may convince me.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Xifoideus View Post
    I don't think those are you only options. You absolutely need more ram regardless and you may in fact be better off with Photoshop in the long run as well. As shitty as Adobe has become as a software company in the last twenty years, they generally have fairly well written software especially when it comes to memory management, but their math is typically better than most others as well, and while it's unfortunate that you can only subscribe to their products now, the price for Ps and Lr together is so trivial that it shoots down the arguments against subscribing. Far less than your phone, internet or cable
    [/B]