Thread: Adapting a Sinar Norma FS to a Chamonix 8x10

Adapting a Sinar Norma FS to a Chamonix 8x10

Has anyone adapted the front standard from a Sinar Norma to a Chamonix 8x10? Acquired a spare Sinar Norma front standard recently. Will be acquiring a Micro-Mark Mega Mark R8 Milling Machine package in the near future to create a handful of adapters that I have always wanted for my various camera systems. I can have the adapters created locally, but the total cost for them represents a major portion of the $$$ needed to acquire Micro-Marc's Milling machine. Anyways, to me looks like adapting a Sinar Norma FS to a Chamonix 8x10 very feasible. I am looking into doing this for 2 reasons... I've been using Sinar Normas since the late 1970s and just love the preciseness of the movements on the front standard, and using DB lenses on the Chamonix made simply possible.
    Would appreciate any advice on this endeavor.
    Greg

Perhaps cut the Norma standard at the top of the fine focus dovetail? That should let you include the swing, tilt, and shift mechanisms. Focus can still be done by the chamonix’s mechanism.

That surface might be large enough to attach with the same thumbscrew type attachment as the chamonix front standard. Might have to broaden it by welding on a larger area plate.

If that’s the case, then it’s just a matter of adapting the front bellows frame to a sinar frame, assuming it isn’t already.

Have you already done your measuring to see if the camera would still fold up? If it won’t fold you forfeit the main advantage of a field camera and you might be better off with just an 8x10 Norma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Re: Adapting a Sinar Norma FS to a Chamonix 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Perhaps cut the Norma standard at the top of the fine focus dovetail? That should let you include the swing, tilt, and shift mechanisms. Focus can still be done by the chamonix’s mechanism.

Thanks for the post... Exactly my idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks for the post... Exactly my idea!
    It would probably be worth adding a pin in the bottom of the standard to key into a hole drilled in the base to prevent unwanted twisting. Since the sinar standard gives the swing and shift, you wouldn’t need it available at that thumbscrew attachment.

Last edited by C. D. Keth; 18-Jan-2020 at 19:57.
    -Chris