Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your signs

Re: Post your signs

Nevada...or maybe Utah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpudShop.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I don't know why I cared, but I googled spudnuts and got this, which I found interesting: https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...10&itype=CMSID

Here's one that was a digital capture in Chattanooga TN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L1002057.jpg  

Time for a couple more signs.

The first shot, track 5, was from 1968 or there about and the center, Finster’s paradise garden, was from the mid 80’s. The pink Motel was shot around 2006-2008.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LN H.jpg   Finster 3.jpg   Cherokee1500.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Dudenbostel; 21-Apr-2020 at 16:00.

GSW690III, 400TMY

Montana Bar by tuco, on Flickr

The Indian Chief image dates to the mid 60's in Cherokee NC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indian Chief crop.jpg   Country Cafe 110.jpg   davids motors.jpg  

Museum of Appalachia—Norris, Tennessee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norris67-5-1.jpg  

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Museum of Appalachia—Norris, Tennessee
    Been there many times. They used to be one of my clients. Certainly a good place to see artifacts from old Appalachia.

If you take a look at post 1 & 2 the concrete cross in the ground and the one standing in the second post we’re put there by the same guy that did the sign in your post. I think the name was Mays. He lived in a house that was shaped like across and went around the country spreading the message on those signs. I know where three remain. He also took 1/2 pint whiskey bottles and put little crosses inside of them much like as hip in a bottle. He handed those out to people. The one of the cross laying in the yard is on the property if either his son or nephew. Can’t remember what he said when I met him. Mays lived in Tazwell / New Tazwell TN.

Good shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Been there many times. They used to be one of my clients. Certainly a good place to see artifacts from old Appalachia.

If you take a look at post 1 & 2 the concrete cross in the ground and the one standing in the second post we’re put there by the same guy that did the sign in your post. I think the name was Mays. He lived in a house that was shaped like across and went around the country spreading the message on those signs. I know where three remain. He also took 1/2 pint whiskey bottles and put little crosses inside of them much like as hip in a bottle. He handed those out to people. The one of the cross laying in the yard is on the property if either his son or nephew. Can’t remember what he said when I met him. Mays lived in Tazwell / New Tazwell TN.

Good shot!
    Thanks for the additional info on Mays Don. He must have been an "interesting" person. I photographed Norris extensively as part of a project I did on the uses of Eminent Domain. It has an interesting history as a company town for the TVA and the dams that were constructed in the area. Shortly before it was developed the federal government hired Lewis Hine to document the people living in the area—many of his photos look like they were taken in the 1700s if photography had existed then.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/