Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

  1. #21
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    13,695

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    I'd be worried about vibrations with a Wista configured in that manner.

  2. #22
    loujon
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western, PA.
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'd be worried about vibrations with a Wista configured in that manner.
    Yuriy is not worried about this and is not the OP but was simply sharing w/ the OP the images he made w/ this lens. He has a double ext Wista 8x10 and was also trying to express to the OP (& Peter) he did not have enough bellows for head/head & shoulders with this 420mm FL & his 8x10 so instead makes use of his 300 Symmar S for H&S shots with this camera.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 17-Jan-2020 at 13:54.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,559

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Using a 300mm focal length on 8x10 for head/shoulder image has a different look than a 8x10 image produced with a 420mm lens.


    Bernice

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    22

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Hi,

    Well I’m a bit confuse now...My Shen-Hao TFC-810 can hold (theoraticaly) lens up to 450mm but in practical Shen-Hao tell me that in practice I shouldn’t use lens longer than 420mm...

    And now I see that a Wista with 500mm extension is not able to make « Head and Shoulders » shoot...??

    So shall I forget this lens for my Shen-Hao ?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,717

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rscaboy View Post
    Hi,

    Well I’m a bit confuse now...My Shen-Hao TFC-810 can hold (theoraticaly) lens up to 450mm but in practical Shen-Hao tell me that in practice I shouldn’t use lens longer than 420mm...

    And now I see that a Wista with 500mm extension is not able to make « Head and Shoulders » shoot...??

    So shall I forget this lens for my Shen-Hao ?
    Longer bellows and beds are accessories for Wista cameras.

    Sorry, not for the 810.

  6. #26
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,011

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rscaboy View Post
    Hi,

    Well I’m a bit confuse now...My Shen-Hao TFC-810 can hold (theoraticaly) lens up to 450mm but in practical Shen-Hao tell me that in practice I shouldn’t use lens longer than 420mm...

    And now I see that a Wista with 500mm extension is not able to make « Head and Shoulders » shoot...??

    So shall I forget this lens for my Shen-Hao ?
    You're confusing bellows extension with usable lenses. Your camera has a maximum bellows extension of 450mm. That means a lens of 450mm will only be able to focus on infinity. It won't focus closer without adding something like a closeup lens or more extension. A 420mm lens (by itself) will not be able to do a head and portrait picture on 8x10 with only 450mm of extension. The focal length of a lens is close to bellows draw when the camera is focused at infinity. Focusing closer requires more extension. When you get to a 1 to 1 film size to subject size, known as 1x magnification, then you need twice the bellows draw of the lens focused at infinity.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing you don't already know

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    22

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    You're confusing bellows extension with usable lenses. Your camera has a maximum bellows extension of 450mm. That means a lens of 450mm will only be able to focus on infinity. It won't focus closer without adding something like a closeup lens or more extension. A 420mm lens (by itself) will not be able to do a head and portrait picture on 8x10 with only 450mm of extension. The focal length of a lens is close to bellows draw when the camera is focused at infinity. Focusing closer requires more extension. When you get to a 1 to 1 film size to subject size, known as 1x magnification, then you need twice the bellows draw of the lens focused at infinity.
    Hello Peter,

    Thanks for this explanation so which type of Portrait would it be possible with my camera and this lens then ?

    And does this lens would it be suitable for any portrait type with the type of camera that i have (Shen-Hao TFC-810A) ?

    If I can't use this lens for portrait then which Type of lens should I use for closer portrait with my camera then ?

    Dom

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,291

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rscaboy View Post
    I'm shooting mainly "Portrait" and have only one lens the APO Symmar 300 for my Shen-Hao 8x10.
    Why not use your 300mm Apo-Symmar? Why do you want to change to another lens?

  9. #29
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    13,695

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Oren, even though I have a number of lenses in this general focal length range, I still covet one of the Fuji L's, either the 300 or the 420 (preferable to me for its bigger image circle and tighter perspective on 8x10). Why - exactly the same reasons already posted. These have a pleasing transitional rendition while retaining sharpness, yielding less annoying background blur than typical hard-sharp modern plasmats, and for this reason, also coveted for portraiture. I do have a Zeiss 360/9 thick tessar with the same kind of rendering, but it's in barrel, so I can only use it for long exposures via lenscap exposure timing. The going price of a Copal 3S shutter is just as much as for a Fuji L with the shutter already on it ... so there you have it. Plus I'd still have to pay for the conversion. On well, we all have our dream lists. But some of these classic tessars really do provide a different look than the hard clinical rendering of more common options. Most people seem to have in mind fast 4.5 tessars for portraiture etc, but the slower versions are also excellent to choose from, and better corrected overall. Mine is apo-corrected.

  10. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,291

    Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

    Drew, I have my own preferences when I'm in the mood to carry on about subtleties of rendering.

    It would still be useful to know whether and why the OP is unhappy with his Apo-Symmar. Why is he looking for another lens? What might be the best solution to his problem depends on whether he indeed has a problem and, if so, exactly what it is.

Similar Threads

  1. Fujinon 420mm f5.6 SF
    By JamesLee in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2010, 02:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •