Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Alas, no. When I had it, I mainly did landscapes with 4x5. I sold it because I needed the money...and then I got more into 8x10 and regretted the sale. Anyway, here's an 8x10 shot with the 420L:

Thanks for the answer.

But for you this lens would be good for Portrait too ?

Yes. First off, it's a good focal length. Much longer lenses become more difficult to use, with huge bellows draw, and they have less depth of field for the most similar composition. For head and shoulders portraits, 400-500mm are good focal lengths for 8x10. The out-of-focus rendition, and the transition from in to out of focus, is smooth. Fujinon lenses are very high quality with few manufacturing defects, and the shutters are modern and reliable. I recently bought a 159 WA Raptar and discovered how much trouble old shutters can be.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes it is. Using 420 of Fujinon I cannot do like it.

Hi,

I don’t understand why you cannot do it with the 420 as it is well suited for this type of portraits ?

Can you post then a portrait realize with the Fuji 420 in order for me to understand what you mean ?

The camera and lens do not allow to fit closer to the model closer than 2 meters

I can’t take a close-up portrait

What camera?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Wista 8x10

Well, you need enough bellows draw to get the composition you want. If you can't get close enough with a 420, then you won't be able to do so with any non-telephoto lens of similar or greater focal length. So, you can add extension to your camera, either with a lens board or back extension, crop, use a smaller camera back, e.g. 5x7, use a shorter focal length lens, add a closeup lens onto the original lens, use a telephoto lens, or get a camera with more extension.

Think the standard Wista 8x10 has 500mm of bellows???

Significant limitation here. Other question, will the Wista 8x10 properly support and be stable with a big lens like this Fujinon 420mm L ?
    Adding extensions might not do as there might not be enough bellows. Adding a extension lens board has length and other limitations including how the added extension could affect using camera movements and putting the lens weight forward will add more stress to the front standard and reduce camera stability and overall stability.

Bernice