Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

Drew Wiley

Re: FUJI FUJINON L 420mm F8 Question.

I'd be worried about vibrations with a Wista configured in that manner.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'd be worried about vibrations with a Wista configured in that manner.
    Yuriy is not worried about this and is not the OP but was simply sharing w/ the OP the images he made w/ this lens. He has a double ext Wista 8x10 and was also trying to express to the OP (& Peter) he did not have enough bellows for head/head & shoulders with this 420mm FL & his 8x10 so instead makes use of his 300 Symmar S for H&S shots with this camera.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 17-Jan-2020 at 13:54.

Using a 300mm focal length on 8x10 for head/shoulder image has a different look than a 8x10 image produced with a 420mm lens.

Bernice

Hi,

Well I’m a bit confuse now...My Shen-Hao TFC-810 can hold (theoraticaly) lens up to 450mm but in practical Shen-Hao tell me that in practice I shouldn’t use lens longer than 420mm...

And now I see that a Wista with 500mm extension is not able to make « Head and Shoulders » shoot...??

So shall I forget this lens for my Shen-Hao ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rscaboy View Post
    Hi,

Well I’m a bit confuse now...My Shen-Hao TFC-810 can hold (theoraticaly) lens up to 450mm but in practical Shen-Hao tell me that in practice I shouldn’t use lens longer than 420mm...

And now I see that a Wista with 500mm extension is not able to make « Head and Shoulders » shoot...??

Longer bellows and beds are accessories for Wista cameras.

Sorry, not for the 810.

Hi,

You're confusing bellows extension with usable lenses. Your camera has a maximum bellows extension of 450mm. That means a lens of 450mm will only be able to focus on infinity. It won't focus closer without adding something like a closeup lens or more extension. A 420mm lens (by itself) will not be able to do a head and portrait picture on 8x10 with only 450mm of extension. The focal length of a lens is close to bellows draw when the camera is focused at infinity. Focusing closer requires more extension. When you get to a 1 to 1 film size to subject size, known as 1x magnification, then you need twice the bellows draw of the lens focused at infinity.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    You're confusing bellows extension with usable lenses. Your camera has a maximum bellows extension of 450mm. That means a lens of 450mm will only be able to focus on infinity. It won't focus closer without adding something like a closeup lens or more extension. A 420mm lens (by itself) will not be able to do a head and portrait picture on 8x10 with only 450mm of extension. The focal length of a lens is close to bellows draw when the camera is focused at infinity. Focusing closer requires more extension. When you get to a 1 to 1 film size to subject size, known as 1x magnification, then you need twice the bellows draw of the lens focused at infinity.
    Hello Peter,

Thanks for this explanation so which type of Portrait would it be possible with my camera and this lens then ?

And does this lens would it be suitable for any portrait type with the type of camera that i have (Shen-Hao TFC-810A) ?

If I can't use this lens for portrait then which Type of lens should I use for closer portrait with my camera then ?

Dom

I'm shooting mainly "Portrait" and have only one lens the APO Symmar 300 for my Shen-Hao 8x10.
    Why not use your 300mm Apo-Symmar? Why do you want to change to another lens?

Drew Wiley

Oren, even though I have a number of lenses in this general focal length range, I still covet one of the Fuji L's, either the 300 or the 420 (preferable to me for its bigger image circle and tighter perspective on 8x10). Why - exactly the same reasons already posted. These have a pleasing transitional rendition while retaining sharpness, yielding less annoying background blur than typical hard-sharp modern plasmats, and for this reason, also coveted for portraiture. I do have a Zeiss 360/9 thick tessar with the same kind of rendering, but it's in barrel, so I can only use it for long exposures via lenscap exposure timing. The going price of a Copal 3S shutter is just as much as for a Fuji L with the shutter already on it ... so there you have it. Plus I'd still have to pay for the conversion. On well, we all have our dream lists. But some of these classic tessars really do provide a different look than the hard clinical rendering of more common options. Most people seem to have in mind fast 4.5 tessars for portraiture etc, but the slower versions are also excellent to choose from, and better corrected overall. Mine is apo-corrected.

Drew, I have my own preferences when I'm in the mood to carry on about subtleties of rendering.

It would still be useful to know whether and why the OP is unhappy with his Apo-Symmar. Why is he looking for another lens? What might be the best solution to his problem depends on whether he indeed has a problem and, if so, exactly what it is.